How to enable Ethernet on 6.0 RC1?

Rod Jones

Aug 2, 2016, 9:05:54 AM8/2/16
to Android-x86
Hi,

I'm trying to run the latest RC1 on my PC (x64) but I can't get Ethernet working. So without internet, Android x86 is useless to me.

I'm using a PC with a Gigabyte Z77x-UD5H motherboard, Core i7 3770k, 32gb ram, Nvidia GTX 770

This motherboard has 2 ethernet ports. One is Atheros, one is Intel. I'm plugged into the Intel port.

I found some suggestions online about using various netcfg commands but I get "netcfg: not found" when I try them.

I'm a total noob when it comes to android/linux so I don't know anything about how to get this working.

If Ethernet isn't available yet on 6.0, might it be available in one of the earlier versions?

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Chih-Wei Huang

Aug 2, 2016, 9:45:34 AM8/2/16
to Android-x86
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to run the latest RC1 on my PC (x64) but I can't get Ethernet working. So without internet, Android x86 is useless to me.
> I'm using a PC with a Gigabyte Z77x-UD5H motherboard, Core i7 3770k, 32gb ram, Nvidia GTX 770
> This motherboard has 2 ethernet ports. One is Atheros, one is Intel. I'm plugged into the Intel port.

Ethernet only supports DHCP mode in
the first ethernet interface (eth0).
So you need to make Intel's port becomes
eth0 (by loading its driver prior to Atheros)
to make it work.

> I found some suggestions online about using various netcfg commands but I get "netcfg: not found" when I try them.
> I'm a total noob when it comes to android/linux so I don't know anything about how to get this working.
> If Ethernet isn't available yet on 6.0, might it be available in one of the earlier versions?

Same as all android versions.

--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project

Thomas Hoberg

Aug 5, 2016, 9:52:05 PM8/5/16
to Android-x86
I believe the issue is that the Linux kernel and the Android userland cannot agree on a numbering for eth0, eth1 etc.

Or perhaps it just uses the highest number after enumerating the Ethernet devices: Android wasn't really designed for Ethernet after all (or multiple WLAN devices).

So once you have more than one port the dhcp client actually attempts to run on eth1 and eth0 is left without addresses.

On the older builds you could then manually set the IP address, mask etc.

If you're lucky, your BIOS allows you to disable one port, then RemixOS will just work fine (make sure the cable winds up in the surviving port).
Intel is bound to be your better choice, because Linux support for all Intel Ethernet is just great.

'netcfg' seems to have gotten lost from Marshmallow, I guess you're supposed to work with 'ip' now, but without man pages I find 'ip' a mouthful.
'ifconfig' is still around du doesn't do much on Android.

I typically set up an SSD with the newest RemixOS on a computer with just one single Ethernet port, activate the Play store, install all the software I want and then take that around to all the machines I want to test and benchmark.

I know of no other OS that boots such a rich variety of hardware and just works off the disk like Remix 3: A revelation!

I'm sure they fix the multi-Ethernet issue soon.