Android-x86 works with external display by disabling the internal display!

Henri Koivuneva

Jun 16, 2017, 5:59:21 AM6/16/17
to Android-x86

Hey guys! I found a way to use an external display with this, by disabling the internal display and telling it to use the external one only!
  • Install Android-x86 / Bliss-x86
  • Boot Ubuntu USB stick or any linux that can run the "xrandr" command
  • Do "xrandr" in terminal to find out what display interface name /display ID your laptop/tablet has. For example mine is eDP-1 (Surface Pro 3 screen). It's the part before "NAME connected primary WIDTHxHEIGHT" (example: eDP-1 connected primary 2160x1440).
  • In another terminal window, do "sudo nano /etc/grub.d/40_custom" and find the Android-x86 / Bliss-x86 boot entry
  • Add the following command for example to the end of the linux row (connection = the name of your connection/display interface name, :d disables that display):
Command:
video=connection:d video=
Example:
video=eDP-1:d video=
  • If you're unsure what your laptop/tablet display ID is, you can try with this (not tested):
Example:
video=eDP-1:d video=eDP1:d video=LVDS1:d video=LVDS-1:d video=
  • Press CTRL-X to save changes, then do this command:
Code:
sudo update-grub
  • Reboot to Android-x86 / Bliss-x86 and enjoy... If the elements are too big for your taste, go to Settings and change the display density from there, or go to developer options and tune the .
If you want, you can also add your external monitor's resolution to the second video= command, for example video=3440x1440 but it shouldn't be needed as it worked very well for me without any set resolution. Android and Linux are intelligent in that way.

I also tried whether it'd work if I defined both the internal resolution and external resolution (=dual monitor), but it mirrored the image as it normally does without the above hack to disable the internal display. I haven't yet found a way to use both the internal and external displays on Android. This is great if you want to connect your Android-x86 / Bliss-x86 laptop/tablet to your TV or bigger monitor and use only that, with the laptop/tablet acting as a "desktop" PC. Games, movies, web browsing, YouTube, anything... And with the freeform windows and taskbar on Bliss-x86, which is built from Android-x86 with many additional features and changes, you have a cool new open-source Android PC experience on the bigger screen!

IMG_20170615_224813.jpg