android-x86_64-7.1-r1 usb live cd running with data issue

Jakub Dąbrowski

Apr 7, 2018, 6:17:54 PM4/7/18
to Android-x86
I got a bootable android-x86_64-7.1-r1.iso on usb flash drive. While using it as live cd everything works smoothly with some known issues. I have two partitions on usb, fat32 with rom, and ext4 created for data. When I did set DATA attr in GRUB config to DATA=sdb2, which is ext4 partition, it's starting for about 30 minutes, getting through first configuration takes hour, and when finished everything still crashes. I can't open settings or run a launcher. Is it usb flash drive problem? It has usb 3.0 connected to usb 3.0 port. I'm not using UEFI, set to Legacy.

Chih-Wei Huang

Apr 9, 2018, 10:26:03 PM4/9/18
to Android-x86
Probably the usb drive is too slow to run Android-x86.
Some cheap usb 3.0 drive may not be as fast as you think.
I suggest you use another usb drive of good brand.

--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project

Zecik123

Apr 12, 2018, 2:10:47 PM4/12/18
to Android-x86
Try using Sandisk Extreme 16 GB.
I am using the 32 GB version for Windows 10 To Go.
Data:
USB 3.0 interface
16 GB capacity
Max. Reading speed 190 MB / s
Max. Write speed 170 MB / s
supported operating systems Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, MacOS X, Windows XP, Windows 98, Windows 2000, Linux

Povilas Staniulis

Apr 12, 2018, 3:16:14 PM4/12/18
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Or if precisely, try using a decent flash drive or SD card with good
IOPS, not a cheap generic one.
SanDisk Extreme is indeed a very decent drive. I have the 64 GB version
and it has a low-end SSD controller inside.
A fast SD card will work as well.

If you use a cheap flash drive with poor IOPS performance, Android will
be slow as the kernel will have to waste a lot of CPU time waiting for
input/output operations to complete.

NebudZvedy Zvedy

Apr 18, 2018, 3:50:39 PM4/18/18
to Android-x86
I have same problem with Adata 32GB USB3 flash disk.. but i really thing that is something wrong with Android x86 code, because it could be slower, but i have to wrong, unless some timeouts are implemented, is there some log from booting phase with timestamp to check what is actually happening during the boot process?