Disable Display via Command Line

IC

Sep 26, 2016, 7:18:46 AM9/26/16
to Android-x86
I'm working on a home hub project that means I'll have Androidx86 running on an Intel NUC powering a touchscreen display. It will be powered 24/7, although I will have no need for the display to be on overnight.

Is there a way I can power disable the display or video output from the command line? This will put the display in to standby and save a lot of energy over the year.

All the methods I have tried (i.e. standby mode, lock screen, etc...) have also put the Intel NUC in to S3 standby, which isn't something I can set a scheduled wake up from. Instead, I though disabling video output would be a good workaround.

Cheers,
Ian

IC

Sep 27, 2016, 11:14:29 AM9/27/16
to Android-x86
I did some reading up and thought I may have some luck with running the following:

su

echo 0 > /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/drm/card0/card0-HDMI-A-1/dpms

However, I get a "permission denied" error. Is that command likely to work, and if so, is there a way to get it running?