Jelly Bean porting - not a demand but a "I've almost got it working, need some help"

Quinny899

Oct 20, 2012, 2:54:36 PM10/20/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I've been working on getting Intel's Jelly Bean builds working with GRUB, and therefore you not having to wipe your hard disk, and I've got it to start booting, using the initrd from 4.0 RC2, and the rest extracted from the build, including the kernel and the system.
Debug during boot shows a kernel panic as follows:
http://www.imgur.com/2yh1h.jpeg
And non debug just sticks at "Not an ASUS product"

There's an existing fix for this error, but it's on source level, is there any other way to fix it?
Thanks
Quinny

Stefan Matthäus

Oct 23, 2012, 2:23:22 PM10/23/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com

Isn't that "not an asus product" an android-x86.org build specific message?

Quinny899

Oct 26, 2012, 1:07:13 PM10/26/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com, matthaeu...@googlemail.com
Yes, but that's because it's using the Android x86 initramfs, which contains that message

shumifan schumacher

Oct 31, 2012, 8:02:10 AM10/31/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com, matthaeu...@googlemail.com
What platform are you running on. The RC2 says that the eeepc version must not be used on other platforms, you should use the generic version. I guess that message says it is not an eeepc.

Quinny899

Oct 31, 2012, 11:50:57 AM10/31/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com, matthaeu...@googlemail.com
I was using the asus_laptop one, but now I'm going to try with the generic 4.0.4 one from tabletsx86

Quinny899

Oct 31, 2012, 12:41:31 PM10/31/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Does the same thing, debug shows the same kernel panic code

Quinny899

Oct 31, 2012, 12:43:12 PM10/31/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
On the subject of the kernel, is it the one in droidboot.img of the android-ia or the boot.img of it do you think?

shumifan schumacher

Oct 31, 2012, 5:28:45 PM10/31/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Which platform are you using?

I used the binaries from the tegra2 on my Inspiron Duo and although it spewed out a message of unknown hardware, it works quite sweetly, with some hardware, like the clock, not working.
The thing is to find a platform with similar drivers to your platform, which is why "what platform'.

I have not looked at the build, it will be best answered by someone with a lot more knowledge than me. When I have some time I will get into that.

Quinny899

Oct 31, 2012, 7:37:00 PM10/31/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Is that jelly bean you're talking about? I'm using a Intel CPU (Atom N450) on a Acer D255 netbook

shumifan schumacher

Nov 1, 2012, 6:32:30 AM11/1/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
No 4.0RC2

Quinny899

Nov 1, 2012, 6:55:28 AM11/1/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I'm talking about jelly bean, it's different

shumifan schumacher

Nov 1, 2012, 7:36:38 AM11/1/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I realise jellybean is different, but it will still require the correct drivers for the hardware you intend to use. So a good place to start to is make ICS work on your hardware, then you know which drivers are required.
You can then copy the drivers from the ICS installation to the jellybean project, which should make life a little easier. But I am no expert at this, so I will leave it to the experts to help you sort the problem
Good luck, it will be nice to get jellybean.

Quinny899

Nov 1, 2012, 11:14:48 AM11/1/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
ICS does work, that's not the problem here

Christopher Campbell

Jun 26, 2016, 8:42:18 PM6/26/16
to Android-x86
Mr. Matthaus (Sorry about not getting the name Perfectly right), I hope you do get this done (I'm cheering for yeah). I heard Kitkat has a Godless Bug and Marshmellow is Strict with Internal Storage so for me they don't have good rep -though x86 versions might not- and I'm a 4.1.2 User who well never upgrade my Android OS.