3D support of android-x86 in virtualbox

林凌

Sep 13, 2011, 4:44:20 AM9/13/11
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
     I'm trying to use android-x86 in virtualbox, while I found the 3D hardware accelerate cannot be enabled in it. As I know, virtualbox-4.1 has enabled 3D hardware accelerate feature, is it possible to add 3D support of android-x86 in virtualbox? It will help a lot to run some Applications need hardware accelerate.
     Thanks very much for you help in advance.

Regards,
Mickey

Chih-Wei Huang

Sep 13, 2011, 9:30:43 PM9/13/11
to andro...@googlegroups.com
No, it's not possible.
There is even no KMS driver for virtualbox,
let alone mesa.

On the other hand, it's more possible to
enable 3D acceleration on a vmware box,
using the vmwgfx driver.
The mesa 3D library has already supported
vmwgfx, though it's still buggy.

Anyone want to involve?

2011/9/13 林凌 <micke...@gmail.com>:

--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project

林凌

Sep 13, 2011, 9:49:21 PM9/13/11
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Could you give me some more hint about how to do so? I would like to have a try.
I'm familiar with linux system development but new to graphic driver things.
We need to port vmwgfx driver to android-x86's kernel or just enable it in current kernel?
How to bridge the mesa 3D library and vmwgfx?

Thanks
Mickey

Chih-Wei Huang

Sep 14, 2011, 9:26:58 PM9/14/11
to andro...@googlegroups.com
First, enable the vmwgfx driver (in the staging dir)
in the kernel config. Then add
BOARD_GPU_DRIVERS := vmwgfx
to the BoardConfig.mk

It doesn't work yet. Feel free to hack it.

2011/9/14 林凌 <micke...@gmail.com>:

> Could you give me some more hint about how to do so? I would like to have a
> try.
> I'm familiar with linux system development but new to graphic driver things.
> We need to port vmwgfx driver to android-x86's kernel or just enable it in
> current kernel?
> How to bridge the mesa 3D library and vmwgfx?

林凌

Sep 19, 2011, 12:12:39 AM9/19/11
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chih-Wei,
     For the mesa, I know that mesa has a full software support of OpenGL ES 2.0, currently mesa lib in android-x86 only have opengl es 1.1 support? Is it easy to have OES 2.0 supported mesa library work in android-x86 above virtual box? I'd like to have some applications wrote use OES 2.0 API running on android-x86 virtual box image. Olv has worked on Mesa before, right?

Thanks
Mickey