6.0-r3 release

Chih-Wei Huang

Apr 24, 2017, 3:44:25 AM4/24/17
to Android-x86, Android-x86 development
Hi,
I just release the 6.0-r3 as the third stable release
of marshmallow-x86.
Though this is just a minor update from
AOSP and other upstream projects,
there are still some new features that
I hope to highlight:

* CD/DVD auto-mount
On a device with CD/DVD drive, Android-x86
can auto-mount it now.
That means you can read files on
a CD/DVD disk, or play video from CD/DVD
via a media player app supporting VOB files.
You can find such a player in Google Play.

However, audio CD is not supported yet.

There are still some issues to use
a hot-plugged USB CD/DVD drive.
It seems vold checks the drive too early
before the drive is ready so it thinks
the drive is broken. I don't have time or
knowledge to find a quick fix yet.
Fortunately you can workaround it by
the command (by root)

blkid /dev/block/sr0

This shouldn't happen in a built-in CD/DVD drive.

* A qemu-android script for Linux users
When you installed the released rpm to
a Linux host, you can launch Android-x86
in the QEMU virtual machine directly
by the new qemu-android script:

$ sudo qemu-android

The root privilege is necessary if you hope
to save data in the Linux host filesystem.
Without root you can still launch Android-x86
in live mode.

Note Android-x86 running in QEMU (with root) and
the real machine (after rebooting) shares the same
data sub-folder. That means you can exchange
data between Android-x86 and the Linux host
easier.

--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project

Wesley Henrique

Apr 24, 2017, 6:30:03 PM4/24/17
to Android-x86, android-...@googlegroups.com
YES, thanks man.

Wesley Henrique

Apr 24, 2017, 6:33:35 PM4/24/17
to Android-x86, android-...@googlegroups.com

Anji Nani

Apr 25, 2017, 11:30:11 AM4/25/17
to Android-x86, android-...@googlegroups.com
"Unable to boot it Android -x86 r3(Latest Relaese) in my PC, Revision 2 is booting fine. it is saying Detecting android -x86 and staying there it self, please help me. My PC RAM is 4GB and processor is Intel Core 2 duo E7500" @2.93GHz

Jon West

Apr 25, 2017, 11:48:10 AM4/25/17
to Android-x86, android-...@googlegroups.com
Great work on this :) I noticed that you are using the marshmallow-x86 branch for mesa still in the manifest with no recent updates,
<project name="platform/external/mesa" path="external/mesa" remote="x86" revision="eddbc6f85c67f1c3f07f3c6f90aac64468f748a0" upstream="marshmallow-x86"/>
but then I came across this article, that states you are using Mesa 17.0.4 in this build? http://phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Android-x86-6.0-r3

Has your repo been updated, or is this misinformation?

Wesley Henrique

Apr 25, 2017, 12:17:48 PM4/25/17
to Android-x86, android-...@googlegroups.com
Started perfect in this configuration: Intel Pentium Dual Core E5500, 3GB RAM 800Mhz, Intel GMA 950 (Onboard).

youling 257

Apr 25, 2017, 12:52:53 PM4/25/17
to Android-x86, android-...@googlegroups.com
Android problem ,i have problem with use “modprobe f2fs” ,especially nougat ,have to
CONFIG_F2FS_FS=y
CONFIG_F2FS_STAT_FS=y
CONFIG_F2FS_FS_XATTR=y
CONFIG_F2FS_FS_POSIX_ACL=y
CONFIG_F2FS_FS_SECURITY=y
the vold auto mount f2fs partition no problem on lineage os 14.1 .

Boot problem,my grub support f2fs and install Android x86 on f2fs partition,i use CONFIG_F2FS_FS=y can try_mount f2fs partition on mnt ,if you use CONFIG_F2FS_FS=m,the init try_mount mnt ,have to modprobe f2fs too .

在 2017年4月24日星期一 UTC+8下午3:44:25,Chih-Wei Huang写道:

youling 257

Apr 25, 2017, 12:57:42 PM4/25/17
to Android-x86, android-...@googlegroups.com

在 2017年4月24日星期一 UTC+8下午3:44:25,Chih-Wei Huang写道:
Hi,

Chih-Wei Huang

Apr 25, 2017, 1:10:40 PM4/25/17
to Android-x86
> Great work on this :) I noticed that you are using the marshmallow-x86
> branch for mesa still in the manifest with no recent updates,
> <project name="platform/external/mesa" path="external/mesa" remote="x86"
> revision="eddbc6f85c67f1c3f07f3c6f90aac64468f748a0"
> upstream="marshmallow-x86"/>
> but then I came across this article, that states you are using Mesa 17.0.4
> in this build?
> http://phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Android-x86-6.0-r3
> Has your repo been updated, or is this misinformation?

Yes. It's Mesa 17.0.4.
Why did you think it's incorrect?

Chih-Wei Huang

Apr 25, 2017, 1:17:58 PM4/25/17
to Android-x86
Because built-in f2fs driver generates annoying messages on booting.
So I dislike to make it built-in.

But yes, you need F2FS_FS=y if
you install Android-x86 to an f2fs filesystem.

Jon West

Apr 25, 2017, 1:27:54 PM4/25/17
to Android-x86
It was a local issue on my side, the remote never updated :)

youling 257

Apr 25, 2017, 1:28:12 PM4/25/17
to Android-x86
that is try mount problem,annoying messages ,so i use cmdline mnt=mmcblk1p9 ,mount /dev/$mnt on mnt

  if [ -b "/dev/$mnt" ]; then
try_mount rw /dev/$mnt /mnt
else
try_mount rw $dev /mnt || return 1
fi

在 2017年4月26日星期三 UTC+8上午1:17:58,Chih-Wei Huang写道:

youling 257

Apr 25, 2017, 1:36:56 PM4/25/17
to Android-x86
i think you understand my this idea,mount /mnt/$SRC/ramdisk folder on /android,read、write、save in android root folder

if [ -d /mnt/$SRC/ramdisk ]; then
cd /
if [ ! -e /mnt/$SRC/ramdisk/init ]; then
cd android
zcat /mnt/$SRC/$RAMDISK | cpio -id > /dev/null
cd /
cp -f -a /android/. /mnt/$SRC/ramdisk
fi
umount -l /android
mount -o bind /mnt/$SRC/ramdisk /android
cd android
else
zcat /mnt/$SRC/$RAMDISK | cpio -id > /dev/null
fi

在 2017年4月26日星期三 UTC+8上午1:17:58,Chih-Wei Huang写道:

Sahaj Sarup

Apr 26, 2017, 2:31:17 PM4/26/17
to Android-x86 development, andro...@googlegroups.com
getting the following error on ubuntu, it wont boot.

ric@ric-ubuntu:~$ sudo qemu-android
[sudo] password for ric:
audio: Could not init `oss' audio driver
qemu-system-x86_64: -virtfs local,id=data,path=data,security_model=passthrough,mount_tag=data: 'virtio-9p-pci' is not a valid device model name
ric@ric-ubuntu:~$

Chih-Wei Huang

Apr 26, 2017, 10:22:39 PM4/26/17
to Android-x86 development, Android-x86
> getting the following error on ubuntu, it wont boot.
>
> ric@ric-ubuntu:~$ sudo qemu-android
> [sudo] password for ric:
> audio: Could not init `oss' audio driver
> qemu-system-x86_64: -virtfs
> local,id=data,path=data,security_model=passthrough,mount_tag=data:
> 'virtio-9p-pci' is not a valid device model name
> ric@ric-ubuntu:~$

I have no problem to launch the script
on Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS with the shipped
qemu 2.0.0+dfsg-2ubuntu1.33.

What's your Ubuntu and qemu version?
Looks like your qemu is too old.
Check 'man qemu' to see if virtio-9p-pci
is valid for your version.

Chih-Wei Huang

Apr 26, 2017, 10:31:31 PM4/26/17
to Android-x86 development, Android-x86
You may read qemu doc to understand
what 'virtio-9p-pci' is.

http://download.qemu.org/qemu-doc.html

(search -fsdev or -virtfs)

Sahaj Sarup

Apr 27, 2017, 1:28:49 AM4/27/17
to Android-x86 development, andro...@googlegroups.com
yup, it was my qemu. for some reason it was replaced by Fuschia OS's qemu.

Anji Nani

Apr 27, 2017, 11:53:32 PM4/27/17
to andro...@googlegroups.com, android-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Wesley,

Have booted it through USB???

Wesley Henrique

Apr 28, 2017, 2:29:28 PM4/28/17
to Android-x86, android-...@googlegroups.com
Yes, my creating was on program Rufus USB.

http://rufus.akeo.ie

Xuefer H

Apr 29, 2017, 4:41:40 AM4/29/17
to Android-x86, android-...@googlegroups.com
can you please update cm-x86 too? at least in the source, i'll try to build one myself

Feleke Demissie

May 1, 2017, 12:36:49 AM5/1/17
to Android-x86, android-...@googlegroups.com
Dear Chih-Wei, Thank you for the update.  I have already installed marshmallow-x86 6.0-r2.  should I reinstall marshmallow-x86 6.0-r3 or there is any other means to update already existing android OS. If you have some time can you show me how to connect cable internet to marshmallow-x86 6.0-r2 or marshmallow-x86 6.0-r3 if I normally install them on the hard disc partition without virtual box.

TheHuhqwerty

May 1, 2017, 12:36:57 AM5/1/17
to Android-x86
I just installed android-x86 6.0-rc3 on my iCraig 9" tablet. It normally runs Windows 10 but I created a new 3GB partition and installed android-x86 on it. I can now boot to either one using GRUB.

It works pretty well but I have 3 issues:
1. no sound
2. screen is upside down (can be locked for some apps but not all games)
3. screen touch events are way off but Bluetooth mouse works fine

Are these known issues or am I just lucky? Are there any config changes I can make to fix them?

Thanks for all of the hard work.
Steve

Chih-Wei Huang

May 1, 2017, 9:35:18 PM5/1/17
to Android-x86
> Dear Chih-Wei, Thank you for the update. I have already installed
> marshmallow-x86 6.0-r2. should I reinstall marshmallow-x86 6.0-r3 or there
> is any other means to update already existing android OS. If you have some

Just install 6.0-r3 to the same partition of 6.0-r2.
The installer will ask if you'd like to upgrade it.

> time can you show me how to connect cable internet to marshmallow-x86 6.0-r2
> or marshmallow-x86 6.0-r3 if I normally install them on the hard disc
> partition without virtual box.

Didn't it just work in DHCP mode?
If not, I have no idea.

TheHuhqwerty

May 22, 2017, 9:48:28 PM5/22/17
to Android-x86
Anybody....?

Mark O.

May 28, 2017, 9:44:45 PM5/28/17
to Android-x86, android-...@googlegroups.com
Wireless was not working on a Thinkpad Carbon X1 Yoga. /*Fixed*/

It worked with r2 but not r3. According to 'dmesg | grep wifi' the firmware for my 04:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 8260 (rev 3a) was not loaded. I copied the iwlwifi-8000C-16.ucode file from /android-6.0-r2/system/lib/firmware to the same place on r3 and now I have wifi.

Hope this helps someone.

Mark O.

Feleke Demissie

Jun 5, 2017, 11:47:31 PM6/5/17