Car Computer

hatharry

Jan 25, 2015, 4:57:54 AM1/25/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hey all

I have made a custom android_x86-4.4-r2 build for car computers. It features a thicker status bar for easy swipe down and the power button shuts down the computer instead of going to sleep.

Here's the link, enjoy :)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6giVgbO9cgzRGF5eDZmdEZJbFE&authuser=0

Antony Stone

Jan 25, 2015, 5:58:33 AM1/25/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
On Sunday 25 January 2015 at 10:57:54 (EU time), hatharry wrote:

> Hey all
>
> I have made a custom android_x86-4.4-r2 build for car computers. It
> features a thicker status bar for easy swipe down and the power button
> shuts down the computer instead of going to sleep.

Ooh, nice mods :)

Could you share your source code changes too, so we can see how to build on
this further?
Regards,

Antony.

--
I conclude that there are two ways of constructing a software design: One way
is to make it so simple that there are _obviously_ no deficiencies, and the

- C A R Hoare

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

hatharry

Jan 27, 2015, 9:04:25 AM1/27/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Source changes are:

"<source root>/out/target/product/x86/system/build.prop" change value to "poweroff.doubleclick=0"

Ravid Maduni

Jan 27, 2015, 9:13:58 AM1/27/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
can you post a video?

בתאריך יום ראשון, 25 בינואר 2015 בשעה 11:57:54 UTC+2, מאת hatharry:

hatharry

Mar 26, 2015, 7:43:24 AM3/26/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Finally i have made a patch for the car computer build.

1st patch has the power features

2nd patch has the power features plus usb gps support in the build.prop
carpc.patch
carpcgps.patch

Mexus Official

Mar 26, 2015, 11:48:41 AM3/26/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

do you have any screenshot how does your modified android looks like? I see some changes in menu height etc...in your carpc.patch.
Also how did you manage to bypass the popup window about connected usb device after each boot?
Or is it only me? It's still asking to set default application for gps module. And i don't want that.

Cheers.

hatharry

Mar 27, 2015, 4:11:14 AM3/27/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
i will make a full walk through of system once it is fully automated. all that is left after trying to get the gps working, is removing the pop up at boot and maybe getting the usb card card to work.

updated patch:

screen time out = never
carpc.patch

hatharry

Mar 30, 2015, 2:03:44 AM3/30/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
so i found this on the torque forum. we need an app that sees the USB_DEVICE_ATTACHED for pl2303 devices and takes default but closes when opened.

hatharry

Mar 30, 2015, 7:36:07 AM3/30/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I'm happy to say i took the ideas and built an app. choose it as the default app on boot and your done. only works for pl2303 devices.
pl2303default.apk

Mexus

Mar 30, 2015, 8:09:55 AM3/30/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Does it suffer from the permission popup window once i run the Torque or other GPS app?

hatharry

Mar 30, 2015, 8:26:41 AM3/30/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
It most likely does but im using the system for gps and bluetooth for torque. i dont get any pop ups.

Luke

Oct 27, 2015, 5:26:52 AM10/27/15
to Android-x86
Finally got around to adding the project to sourceforge.

repo init -u git://git.code.sf.net/p/android-x86-carputer/manifest -b kitkat-x86

features include:
power button shutdown
support for no battery
48dp status bar

CC

Jan 12, 2017, 11:02:13 PM1/12/17
to Android-x86
What kind of usb gps mouse can I use? I have a u-blox-neo-7m. Will it work?
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Evan Langlois

Jan 13, 2017, 5:13:11 AM1/13/17
to Android-x86
A GPS Mouse????

On Thursday, January 12, 2017 at 10:02:13 PM UTC-6, CC wrote:
What kind of usb gps mouse can I use? I have a u-blox-neo-7m. Will it work?

 I just wanted to note to the group that PC-based systems are NOT good for automobiles.  Cars see a high degree of temperature changes and you really want something a bit more rugged and well shielded.  The Rockchip RK3066/3188 based units are cheap, industrial-spec, and integrate GPS, SD card reader, bluetooth, USB ports, 4x50W auto outputs, LEDs, and are already set to mount where your stock radio goes.   They accept steering wheel buttons, automatically switch to rear camera view when you shift into reverse, etc.   Plus, most of the manufacturers aren't smart enough to sign the update files, so you can root an update and start hacking away.  In the end, its going to be a lot easier than rolling your own.

Antony Stone

Jan 13, 2017, 5:48:00 AM1/13/17
to andro...@googlegroups.com
On Friday 13 January 2017 at 11:13:10, Evan Langlois wrote:

> A GPS *Mouse*????

They're called that beacuse they're the same shape and approximate size as
mice; but they're just GPS receivers which plug in by USB.

Antony.
--
A user interface is like a joke.
If you have to explain it, it didn't work.

Luke

Jan 13, 2017, 8:52:43 PM1/13/17
to Android-x86
If the kernel supports it the only thing you'll have to change is the Build.prop
  • Build.prop changes:
  • ro.kernel.android.gps=ttyUSB0 (GPS USB port)
  • ro.kernel.android.gpsttybaud=4800 (GPS baud Speed)

Look for /dev/ttyUSB0 or /dev/ttyUSB1 etc.

Make sure the baud speed is correct for your model

CC

Jan 14, 2017, 3:09:36 AM1/14/17
to Android-x86
oh, the speed is not a big problem. but i don't know whether my gps mouse is supported by the kernel. can you give me a support list of the gps?

Luke McIntyre

Jan 14, 2017, 4:52:11 AM1/14/17
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Not sure for kernel 4.4.40 but finding /dev/ttyUSB* is a good way to know

On 14/01/2017 9:09 PM, "CC" <drz...@hotmail.com> wrote:
oh, the speed is not a big problem. but i don't know whether my gps mouse is supported by the kernel. can you give me a support list of the gps?

Xuefer H

Jan 14, 2017, 5:39:36 AM1/14/17
to Android-x86
for car pc, you don't want to spend another 45 seconds after you get out of underground parking lot. saving/restoring active satellite info is a must, it's even better if LTO is supported. but given different chip is works differently about  (NMEA is the same), i wonder if it's easy to add drivers. maybe have houdini to run gps daemon that was built for arm? but how is an arm gps hal (which connects gps daemon) get loaded into x86/64 system_server

CC

Jan 14, 2017, 5:43:03 AM1/14/17
to Android-x86
OK,I will check it later. By the way, does any WWAN modem work in this OS?
I think it is really important for a car pc OS to support WWAN and GPS.
Message has been deleted

CC

Jan 16, 2017, 8:54:26 AM1/16/17
to Android-x86
I tried my gps device yesterday. Unfortunately, it didn't work. I tried the u-blox-neo-7m and the pl2303 gps mouse and neither of them worked. How can I make it work?

Antony Stone

Jan 16, 2017, 9:39:39 AM1/16/17
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Do any of them work under a standard Linux distro - if so, your best bet is to
find out which driver module they use, and then make sure that's (a) available
for Android, (b) compiled on your installation, and (c) loaded on your device.

In my opinion, a pl2303 should certainly work. How are you testing these to
see whether they work under Android? What USB-GPS support app are you using?

Antony.

--
The Magic Words are Squeamish Ossifrage.

Evan Langlois

Jan 16, 2017, 7:50:30 PM1/16/17
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Just curious what hardware platform you guys are using for this.  I can't think of too many x86 platforms that would work well in a car, and none that would be as what I paid for my Rockchip-based device.   Granted, I'd like more RAM, but it works OK.

Luke McIntyre

Jan 16, 2017, 8:02:34 PM1/16/17
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I was using a gigabyte brix but recently switched to a Intel compute stick.

Evan Langlois

Jan 16, 2017, 8:19:25 PM1/16/17
to andro...@googlegroups.com
What do you use for the screen?

Luke McIntyre

Jan 16, 2017, 8:32:47 PM1/16/17
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Double DIN Lilliput touch screen

Evan Langlois

Jan 16, 2017, 9:40:43 PM1/16/17
to andro...@googlegroups.com
It looks like a hefty price tag for the total package.  I'm curious what the advantages are to going this route over a COTS product?  You probably get more compute power that way, but the general aesthetics are a bit rough and simple things like having a real volume knob and buttons go a long way when you are trying to drive.   A picture of mine.

And look up Viper4Android if you don't already run it.   There is an x86 version (I use it on my Remix notebook in the house).  It sounds absolutely fabulous in my car on the Rockchip-based unit (ARM A9 Quad-core, 1.6Ghz).  In fact, Viper4Android was my reason for buying an Android-based head unit.  It takes root to install it, but you'll be amazed!   I've used every audio enhancing and EQ product out there, and Viper was the only one I was impressed with.  It even beat out Dolby Atmos.  I can post my settings if someone wants a starting point for tuning the sound.  After all, the main use of a head unit is the audio!

CC

Jan 16, 2017, 10:23:52 PM1/16/17
to Android-x86
I have a app named GPS test, and it can show me the GPS information.

Luke McIntyre

Jan 16, 2017, 10:26:08 PM1/16/17
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I recommend your model to everyone else but price was never an option for me.
I needed the compute power and I like to keep everything modular so upgrading is easy.
I'm running a high end asus DAC with a 5 channel amp. It sounds beautiful.

Luke

Jan 16, 2017, 10:41:50 PM1/16/17
to Android-x86
You can also use the app "You Are Here GPS" for pl2303 to make sure the device works and to confirm the build.prop settings.

Evan Langlois

Jan 16, 2017, 11:20:31 PM1/16/17
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I'm constrained by price, but trust me, Viper4Android will still make your system sound better no matter how good your DAC. Also, you might want to check this project as it supports USB DACs in addition to the Microntek service (don't know if you'd have to comment out the Microntek parts) - it's for setting a power-on volume and speed-sensitive volume (which I've come to like), among other things (which likely don't apply - helpers for steering wheel buttons, etc).

I'm an audiophile and most sound processing just sounds really artificial to me.    I originally downloaded Viper just so I could refute the ridiculous claims made by people that used it.  I put it on my phone and my cheap earbuds suddenly sounded amazing, so I grabbed my "real" headphones to get a better impression.   I was floored!   I tweaked the config a bit to adjust for different response of the studio cans (be sure to set the interface to Expert and lock the mode to Headset in your car since if it can't detect "headphones" plugged in it thinks you are using a phone speaker and the options will be different) and sat stunned for the next few hours.  The only issue I have is that I can't listen to music without Viper anymore (other people have noticed the same problem) and I need to turn off the IRS when playing videos if I actually watch the screen (I have a .IR file for Joe Meek's compressor and love it, but the latency screws with the video sync, but if I'm driving, I tend to watch the road, not the video).

CC

Jan 16, 2017, 11:57:31 PM1/16/17
to Android-x86
I have tried this app. YAH GPS can make my pl2303 gps mouse work, and the app named pl2303 GPSinfo is ok too(only for my pl2303 gps mouse. ublox can't work). But both of them have the same promblem. These apps can't autostart. I have to start the app every time, and that's really annoying. So i want to find a way to make my gps device star. automatically when I turn on my car PC.
And I downloaded your pl2303 default.apk too.But I don't know how to use it.

Evan Langlois

Jan 17, 2017, 12:05:54 AM1/17/17
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I'm pretty sure that the 3C app (one of the Android "tuner" apps) can auto-start anything you want.  You'll need ROOT access for 3C to work that much magic.

On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 10:57 PM, CC <drz...@hotmail.com> wrote:
I have tried this app. YAH GPS can make my pl2303 gps mouse work, and the app named pl2303 GPSinfo is ok too(only for my pl2303 gps mouse. ublox can't work). But both of them have the same promblem. These apps can't autostart. I have to start the app every time, and that's really annoying. So i want to find a way to make my gps device star. automatically when I turn on my car PC. And I downloaded your pl2303 default.apk too.But I don't know how to use it.

CC

Jan 17, 2017, 12:13:04 AM1/17/17
to Android-x86
I am using a Intel J1900 CPU motherboard. Actually,J1900 is just a atom cpu which is a bit more powerful than Atom Z3xxx.

Luke McIntyre

Jan 17, 2017, 12:35:23 AM1/17/17
to andro...@googlegroups.com
If yah gps works then the settings in the build.prob you entered are wrong check the baud rate and ttyusb. Pl2303 device take a long time to lock if they are not outside. Stop using yah gps and test with gps info

On 17/01/2017 6:13 PM, "CC" <drz...@hotmail.com> wrote:
I am using a Intel J1900 CPU motherboard. Actually,J1900 is just a atom cpu which is a bit more powerful than Atom Z3xxx.

Luke McIntyre

Jan 17, 2017, 12:36:24 AM1/17/17
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Auto start is not needed

CC

Jan 17, 2017, 12:46:50 AM1/17/17
to Android-x86
What about your GPS default.apk? Does it work? And how can I if it is working?

CC

Jan 17, 2017, 1:02:25 AM1/17/17
to Android-x86
sorry for my mistake. it should be pl2303 default.apk, not GPS default.

Luke McIntyre

Jan 17, 2017, 1:27:25 AM1/17/17
to andro...@googlegroups.com
That app is for stopping apps from auto starting on USB plug in Eg. Torque app

On 17/01/2017 7:02 PM, "CC" <drz...@hotmail.com> wrote:
sorry for my mistake. it should be pl2303 default.apk, not GPS default.

CC

Jan 17, 2017, 1:34:10 AM1/17/17
to Android-x86
ok i see

CC

Jan 17, 2017, 1:40:27 AM1/17/17
to Android-x86
now i need to find a way to make my USB GPS app start automatically when i turn on my car PC. it is very important for me and i think that will make my car pc more convenient and useful. :D

Mike

Jan 17, 2017, 10:13:47 AM1/17/17
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Not sure how it works in a car. But on a regular phone they're apps that
you can use one to change an app to a system app and two to make it start
at boor..

Sent with AquaMail for Android
http://www.aqua-mail.com

CC

Jan 18, 2017, 5:25:48 AM1/18/17
to Android-x86
i failed to make the GPS Apps autostart. so i still want to find a way to make my GPS mouse work without apps. does your GPS device can work in your system without GPS apps? can you control it in system settings?

Luke McIntyre

Jan 18, 2017, 5:32:25 AM1/18/17
to andro...@googlegroups.com
What is the baud rate for your device?

Can you please paste your build.prop and the result of "ls /dev/ttyusb*"

On 18/01/2017 11:25 PM, "CC" <drz...@hotmail.com> wrote:
i failed to make the GPS Apps autostart. so i still want to find a way to make my GPS mouse work without apps. does your GPS device can work in your system without GPS apps? can you control it in system settings?

CC

Jan 18, 2017, 5:40:24 AM1/18/17
to Android-x86
if i want to make the GPS work, and what should i do? i don't know clearly if my device is at ttyUSB0 and the speed is 4800. where can i check about it? and how to change the parameter?

Luke McIntyre

Jan 18, 2017, 5:44:45 AM1/18/17
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Download build.prop editor to add settings from the post above.

Open Terminal emulator and enter "ls /dev/ttyusb*" to list connected devices

On 18/01/2017 11:40 PM, "CC" <drz...@hotmail.com> wrote:
if i want to make the GPS work, and what should i do? i don't know clearly if my device is at ttyUSB0 and the speed is 4800. where can i check about it? and how to change the parameter?

CC

Jan 18, 2017, 6:05:11 AM1/18/17
to Android-x86
i am using the system that you built. i am not a programmer, so i am a little confused. could you please give me more information?

Luke

Jan 18, 2017, 7:56:52 AM1/18/17
to Android-x86
Please download the latest releases from here https://sourceforge.net/projects/android-x86-carputer/

CC

Jan 18, 2017, 11:29:53 PM1/18/17
to Android-x86
OK,I will have a try.Thanks

CC

Jan 18, 2017, 11:36:24 PM1/18/17
to Android-x86
which one should I choose?the 4.4 version or the 6.0 version.

Luke McIntyre

Jan 18, 2017, 11:37:50 PM1/18/17
to andro...@googlegroups.com
The latest 6.0

On 19/01/2017 5:36 PM, "CC" <drz...@hotmail.com> wrote:
which one should I choose?the 4.4 version or the 6.0 version.

CC

Jan 19, 2017, 10:18:37 AM1/19/17
to Android-x86
I am happy to say that my GPS mouse is working in the 6.0 version. However, it seems that i need to install the arm libs by myself.

CC

Jan 19, 2017, 1:21:52 PM1/19/17
to Android-x86
could you please tell me how to install the arm translator?

Miker1029

Jan 19, 2017, 4:34:26 PM1/19/17
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Isn't that houdini?? Should do that on the initial boot on install,
Unless things have changed, or The CC is different...

Mike

CC

Jan 20, 2017, 8:33:08 AM1/20/17
to Android-x86
I found 6.0 was not working well with my apps. So I tried the 4.4 r5. And 4.4 r5 works well now.

CC

Jan 20, 2017, 9:08:36 AM1/20/17
to Android-x86
yes, it is houdini. i get used to call it arm translator.