Usability of this platform (Android x86) - Black screen crash / landscape vs portrait

Patrick Dunford

Jan 23, 2017, 10:02:08 AM1/23/17
to Android-x86
There are two issues I currently see which would make this platform a lot more usable. (I run it in a VirtualBox VM hosted on Xubuntu right now)

The first problem I have with the current release of Android x86 (6.0 r2 x64) is that it will keep crashing to a black screen with a blinking cursor at top left without any obvious cause or resolution for this problem. I have left it idling and come back later to see this quite a lot.

The second problem is the well known rotation issue with some apps. It would seem to me logical that one way of addressing this is to have it possible to start up Android x86 in Portrait mode instead of Landscape. Unfortunately there appears to be no easy way of achieving this. Trying tricks such as telling VirtualBox to set a custom video mode of 768x1024 and then getting Android x86 to boot up in this mode always fail. In short, the software is hardwired to start up in Landscape mode and has no apparent way of operating otherwise. With the above settings you just get half a landscape screen in your portrait window.

So for me those two issues are what makes this platform really annoying.

Chih-Wei Huang

Jan 23, 2017, 10:58:28 AM1/23/17
to Android-x86
It's strange you can't customize the resolution
to portrait mode. People have already shown
it's possible:

https://4sysops.com/archives/change-the-screen-resolution-of-an-android-virtualbox-vm/
http://twigstechtips.blogspot.tw/2013/02/android-x86-how-to-change-screen.html

Of course, this doesn't really solve the problem.
You still have issue with landscape mode apps.

> So for me those two issues are what makes this platform really annoying.

Patches are welcome.

--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project