Cannot enable wifi (Broadcom BCM4312)

Rinaldo Jonathan

Oct 19, 2013, 8:07:13 AM10/19/13
to android-x86

i've tried to switch to text mode with alt f1, typed "modprobe wl", but nothing happened, and no errors, but wifi still wont turned on ....
I used last build on android-x86.org...

Help me please :(

Ravi

Oct 19, 2013, 9:40:43 AM10/19/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com
The only build that that supports this Wifi Card is this ICS one: http://stefanseidel.info/android/

Which is quite old now though.  It would be great if someone could put this driver in a newer build.

fuzzy7k

Oct 19, 2013, 4:19:38 PM10/19/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Does the interface show up in `netcfg`?

I assume the driver is loaded, `lsmod | grep wl`.

what is the output of `logcat -d | grep -i wifi`

Rinaldo Jonathan

Oct 19, 2013, 8:28:58 PM10/19/13
to android-x86

Netcfg :
ip6tnl0 DOWN 0.0.0.0/0 0x00000080 00:00:00:00:00:00
Lo UP 127.0.0.1/8 0x00000049 00:00:00:00:00:00
Eth1 UP 0.0.0.0/0 0x00001003 00:22:68:c4:ee:36
Eth0 DOWN 0.0.0.0/0 0x00001002 00:1e:c9:05:14:bd
Sit0 DOWN 0.0.0.0/0 0x00000080 00:00:00:00:00:00

Lsmod | grep wl
Wl 2445632 0 - Live 0x00000000 (P)
Lib80211 3692 2 wl,lib80211_crypt_tkip, live 0x00000000
Cfg80211 341791 1 wl, Live 0x00000000

Logcat -d | grep -i wifi
The picture i send, it fills the screen ....

IMG_20131020_072636.jpg

fuzzy7k

Oct 19, 2013, 9:20:37 PM10/19/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Looks like the problem is that the interface is named eth1 and certain parts of the system are expecting wlan0. This was fixed a while back but it looks like that build came prior to the update.

I would say that you could make your own build and the problem would be solved. Unfortunately, Broadcom updated their driver and discontinued the one that is currently referenced. So, you would need to find a newer build or find the old driver from another source and build your own. I just tried the new driver today but it doesn't work quite yet.

Rinaldo Jonathan

Oct 19, 2013, 9:34:32 PM10/19/13
to android-x86

Any other solution other than rebuilding?
Or can I symlink eth1 to wlan0? :P

fuzzy7k

Oct 19, 2013, 11:22:09 PM10/19/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com
heh, did it work? I don't see why it wouldn't. Try doing that in DEBUG=2.

Otherwise you'll just have to wait.

Rinaldo Jonathan

Oct 19, 2013, 11:45:34 PM10/19/13
to android-x86

It stucked at turning on wifi at android gui ... Same like before...
Hmmm...

Do you have any working build?
Or should i try android-x86 4.2 instead of 4.3?

fuzzy7k

Oct 19, 2013, 11:54:30 PM10/19/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com

Do you have any working build?

Not any more

Or should i try android-x86 4.2 instead of 4.3?

yeah, or even 4.0. My most stable install is ICS(4.0)

fuzzy7k

Oct 20, 2013, 12:20:30 AM10/20/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com
On another note, to anyone who is interested in the subject, I've pushed the updated make files for the new driver to the kernel tree. I've separated out the bits that are required for this project and plugged in the patch from the Arch Linux project (https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/broadcom-wl/). They seem to have the best handle on the situation and package the fixes in a format that works good for us. Plus, most of the incremental patches that I incorporated into the previous driver came from their bug reports anyway. This should make things easier going forward assuming they keep up the good work.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work in my build. The module is inserted but doesn't show up in netcfg. I haven't done too much investigation yet. I figure a fresh set of eyes may uncover the problem. Or, maybe we get lucky and I just have something off kilter on my machine.

I also added a provision for 64 bit kernels. Test reports welcome.

Masaki Muranaka

Oct 20, 2013, 1:00:01 AM10/20/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
You can change device name (not symlink but similar) if the system uses udev.
http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/howto-linux-rename-ethernet-devices-named-using-udev/

But as you might know, Android-x86 system uses mdev instead of udev.
So as far as I know, you can't rename eth1 to wlan0 without rebuilding.
( I wish I have mistakes and we can do it... )

2013/10/20 Rinaldo Jonathan <rinaldo....@gmail.com>:
--
Masaki Muranaka
Monami-ya LLC, Japan.

Rinaldo Jonathan

Oct 20, 2013, 1:35:57 AM10/20/13
to android-x86

I'll try that when I come home.
Thanks!

Rinaldo Jonathan

Oct 20, 2013, 8:58:13 AM10/20/13
to android-x86

Update :

I given up with jb-x86, then i tried latest ics-x86 build.
Wifi turned on, but when i tried to connect , my laptop freezed, the screen turned off.

Any solution?

fuzzy7k

Oct 20, 2013, 9:56:14 PM10/20/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Again, something that was fixed in the tree. I thought there was a more recent release that worked, but I could be wrong. I do not know when the next release is going to be, but I sorted out what was wrong with the new driver. So, the next release should be proper.

Rinaldo Jonathan

Oct 21, 2013, 8:01:03 PM10/21/13
to android-x86

Which one? I see 3 iso there :|

--
Message has been deleted

dscm

Oct 21, 2013, 9:24:39 PM10/21/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Message has been deleted

Mario Andree Orrego Zarate

Nov 5, 2013, 8:45:38 AM11/5/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com
hi i install this on my notebook with bcm4313. The wifi works fine but each time pulling force closed the browser and all applications in general, also does not have the google apps installed. Could you help me please?

Mario Andree Orrego Zarate

Nov 5, 2013, 8:46:47 AM11/5/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com

Mario Andree Orrego Zarate

Nov 5, 2013, 8:47:16 AM11/5/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com
hi i install this on my notebook with bcm4313. The wifi works fine but each time pulling force closed the browser and all applications in general, also does not have the google apps installed. Could you help me please?

El jueves, 24 de octubre de 2013 21:34:09 UTC-5, tabletsx86 escribió:

latest build with Broadcomm Wifi updates by Kyle Evans.....

available here:

repo sync'd on 10-21-13

Rinaldo Jonathan

Nov 5, 2013, 8:27:36 PM11/5/13
to android-x86

I used this build, so if you dont use same build i dont think i can help...

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2evBKvIpdYkNTFUY2p1bjNES1k/edit?usp=sharing

Mario Andree Orrego Zarate

Nov 6, 2013, 7:03:49 AM11/6/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your answer, what is the source of that version?. Where do you get your iso compliant bmc4313 or 4312