Android-x86 6.0-r1 released

Chih-Wei Huang

Sep 13, 2016, 12:49:14 PM9/13/16
to Android-x86
Hi all,
After near 11 months of development,
we have reached this important milestone,
the first stable release of Android-x86 6.0.

http://www.android-x86.org/releases/releasenote-6-0-r1

Thanks to all who made contributions to the release.

--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project

Masaykh

Sep 13, 2016, 6:24:14 PM9/13/16
to Android-x86
Is this build supposed to work with Nvidia GPU?
then i start build normaly it boot only to console , in logcat :

cant access framebuffer (illegal argument)

then i do :
rmmod nouveau
ln /dev/dri/card1 /dev/dri/card0

system boot to GUI and "about tablet" state that it work on intel gpu

Povilas Staniulis

Sep 13, 2016, 9:42:38 PM9/13/16
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I don't think nouveau supports Optimus.
There are some hacks which somewhat work on regular Linux distros, but
nothing for Android.

Removing nouveau driver disables the Nvidia card, which enables Android
to boot using the Intel graphics.

Masaykh

Sep 14, 2016, 2:35:28 AM9/14/16
to Android-x86
is there way to disable nouveau on boot (via kernel command line)?
i tried to pass "modprobe.blacklist=nouveau" and "nouveau.modeset=0"
but it load anyway

On 2016.09.14 01:24, Masaykh wrote:
> Is this build supposed to work with Nvidia GPU?
> then i start build normaly it boot only to console , in logcat :
>
> cant access framebuffer (illegal argument)
>
> then i do :
> rmmod nouveau
> ln /dev/dri/card1 /dev/dri/card0
>
> system boot to GUI and "about tablet" state that it work on intel gpu

Chih-Wei Huang

Sep 14, 2016, 2:43:42 AM9/14/16
to Android-x86
> is there way to disable nouveau on boot (via kernel command line)?
> i tried to pass "modprobe.blacklist=nouveau" and "nouveau.modeset=0"
> but it load anyway

Put it to
/system/etc/modules.blacklist

Tails Lol

Sep 14, 2016, 3:28:36 AM9/14/16
to Android-x86
can we have a 4.8 kernel version? or a version that support nvidia gtx 980?
android x86 boot but the image is totally screwed up.

Masaykh

Sep 14, 2016, 3:47:49 AM9/14/16
to Android-x86
it would need to change system.sfs for this ?
Or to install android to partation?

no boot parameters that can do it?

Krister Hallergard

Sep 14, 2016, 4:12:57 AM9/14/16
to Android-x86
Upgraded to -r1 on my ext4 HDD partition by installing over (on top of) the -rc2 (http://goo.gl/j7fba7). Had prepared by changing root folder name to "android-6.0-r1" and similar edits on my grub2 boot loader.

Successfully I think. Could anybody explain what might be wrong with this installation method, please!

Chih-Wei Huang

Sep 14, 2016, 4:45:31 AM9/14/16
to Android-x86
Did you choose to skip grub installation?
If so, you need to update the grub.cfg manually,
of course.

Krister Hallergard

Sep 14, 2016, 6:34:33 AM9/14/16
to Android-x86
Yes I skipped the grub installation.  Am using the Kubuntu grub2 bootmenu and editing its /etc/40_Custom for Android-x86, RemixOS and PhoenixOS

Hypo Turtle

Sep 14, 2016, 8:01:04 AM9/14/16
to Android-x86
Nothing wrong persay; but you don't really need to keep renaming the folder [Just name it android-6.x] and leave it as that.
What's the issue? A stalled boot? I'd at least clear app data from the system apps:
cd /data/data
for line in `ls | grep com.android`; do rm -rf $line; done
from DEBUG=1 should be enough

Povilas Staniulis

Sep 14, 2016, 8:04:47 AM9/14/16
to andro...@googlegroups.com
The best way would be to get rid of the kernel module.
Or rebuild kernel without nouveau.
> > an email to android-x86...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>
> > <mailto:android-x86...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>>.
> <javascript:>
> > <mailto:andro...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>>.
> <https://groups.google.com/group/android-x86>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.

Salar Tajbakhsh

Sep 17, 2016, 10:01:32 PM9/17/16
to Android-x86
i have lenovo miix 310
there is not any drivers for it
my wifi,auto rotate , battery percentage, volume key, power key not working
how we can fix this?

Andrey Kozlov

Sep 17, 2016, 10:01:46 PM9/17/16
to Android-x86
Thank you for all the great work. However this release looks disappointing comparing to rc2.
First of all issue with distorted overlay dialogs like PowerOff or ANR is still there and 100% reporoducible. I was hoping it is fixed in new Mesa, but it is not. Then audio is now defaulted to HDMI. So to switch to analog mode I need to use hal.audio.primary.hdmi=0 which is inconvenient. Probably some UI setting option is necessary here. But even after that there are only two volume levels 0% and 100%.
And at last the poweroff sequence is broken. The device does not poweroff after it has completed the shutdown procedure.
I am looking forward for these fixes soon. In other aspects great work is done and I highly apreciate all the efforts involved.

Chih-Wei Huang

Sep 18, 2016, 11:04:59 AM9/18/16
to Android-x86
> Thank you for all the great work. However this release looks disappointing
> comparing to rc2.
> First of all issue with distorted overlay dialogs like PowerOff or ANR is
> still there and 100% reporoducible. I was hoping it is fixed in new Mesa,
> but it is not. Then audio is now defaulted to HDMI. So to switch to analog
> mode I need to use hal.audio.primary.hdmi=0 which is inconvenient. Probably
> some UI setting option is necessary here. But even after that there are only
> two volume levels 0% and 100%.

HDMI audio is not the default.
Please post full logcat for debugging.

Ildar Mulyukov

Sep 18, 2016, 11:31:18 PM9/18/16
to Android-x86
Suffers from https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/remix-os-for-pc/8GRLt-CpIVA
Can you look at it?
BR, Ildar.

Chih-Wei Huang

Sep 18, 2016, 11:48:23 PM9/18/16
to Android-x86
> Suffers from
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/remix-os-for-pc/8GRLt-CpIVA
> Can you look at it?

Looks like your CPU is not supported.
In doubt, check /proc/cpuinfo (cat /proc/cpuinfo)
to see if it contains all required x86 instructions
listed in

https://developer.android.com/ndk/guides/abis.html

Ildar Mulyukov

Sep 19, 2016, 1:16:19 AM9/19/16
to Android-x86
Exactly! Thanks a lot. Seems I'm stuck with Lollypop.
Best regards, Ildar.

Scoo Ter

Sep 19, 2016, 2:16:32 AM9/19/16
to Android-x86
Is the installer somehow broken?
I've tried to install R1 on two different ext4 partitions.

But the installer always throws an error after "syncing to disk":

Installation failed! Please check if you have enough free disk space to install Android-x86.

RC2 / Remix installs without any issues from the same pendrive on both partitions.

Chih-Wei Huang

Sep 19, 2016, 3:08:17 AM9/19/16
to Android-x86
There is no significant change of the installer
since -rc2.

Please add DEBUG=1 to cmdline on installation
and show us the file /tmp/log

Scoo Ter

Sep 19, 2016, 4:48:36 AM9/19/16
to Android-x86

Am Montag, 19. September 2016 14:08:17 UTC+7 schrieb Chih-Wei Huang:

There is no significant change of the installer
since -rc2.

Please add DEBUG=1 to cmdline on installation
and show us the file /tmp/log

Ok, here is the log file
log

Antony Stone

Sep 19, 2016, 4:57:17 AM9/19/16
to andro...@googlegroups.com
How much free space do you have on partition /dev/sdb2 before installation?

Antony

--
Police have found a cartoonist dead in his house. They say that details are
currently sketchy.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Scoo Ter

Sep 19, 2016, 5:11:14 AM9/19/16
to Android-x86, Antony...@android.open.source.it

Am Montag, 19. September 2016 15:57:17 UTC+7 schrieb Antony Stone:

How much free space do you have on partition /dev/sdb2 before installation?

More than 22 GB
And as mentioned before, an installation of RC2 works flawlessly on the same partition.
After the failed installation, there are just two sub-folders in "android-6.0-r1"

Android and mnt

"Android" contains /system
"mnt"
contains initrd.img, kernel and ramdisk.img

Strange.

Antony Stone

Sep 19, 2016, 5:17:28 AM9/19/16
to andro...@googlegroups.com
On Monday 19 Sep 2016 at 10:11, Scoo Ter wrote:

> Am Montag, 19. September 2016 15:57:17 UTC+7 schrieb Antony Stone:
> > How much free space do you have on partition /dev/sdb2 before
> > installation?
>
> More than 22 GB

Hmm. The installer claims to want to write 1567687 kilobytes; ie: 1.5 Gbytes.

> And as mentioned before, an installation of RC2 works flawlessly on the
> same partition.
> After the failed installation, there are just two sub-folders in
> "android-6.0-r1"
>
> Android and mnt
>
> "Android" contains /system
> "mnt" contains initrd.img, kernel and ramdisk.img
>
> Strange.

Agreed. Sorry I don't have another idea about this just now.

I hope someone else can spot something significant in the log file.

Antony.

--
This sentence contains exacly three erors.

Scoo Ter

Sep 19, 2016, 5:45:32 AM9/19/16

Am Montag, 19. September 2016 16:17:28 UTC+7 schrieb Antony Stone:
On Monday 19 Sep 2016 at 10:11, Scoo Ter wrote:

Agreed.  Sorry I don't have another idea about this just now.

I hope someone else can spot something significant in the log file.

Well, after moving /system and the kernel files from their subfolders to "android-6.0-r1" and creating a "data" folder, it actually boots.. :-)

Scoo Ter

Sep 19, 2016, 6:40:06 AM9/19/16
to Android-x86

Am Montag, 19. September 2016 13:16:32 UTC+7 schrieb Scoo Ter:
Is the installer somehow broken?
I've tried to install R1 on two different ext4 partitions

Problem solved.
The ISO was somehow corrupt (wrong checksum)
The newly dl. ISO installs without any issues.
Sorry for wasting your time...

Scoo Ter

Sep 19, 2016, 7:26:15 AM9/19/16
to Android-x86
So far so good, but system_server is still on 25% CPU when idle, on my Baytrail Quadcore, similar to RC2.
This does not happen with CM13 from this forum
Logcat is quiet, no noticable activity.
Media storage is disabled
So what's going on?

spamk...@googlemail.com

Sep 20, 2016, 12:03:29 AM9/20/16
to Android-x86
Hi all,

thank you for your hard work.

I'm trying to boot the Image from my multiboot usb device. I'm using Grub with the following parameters:

title Android1
root (hd0,0)
kernel /images/android_60r1/kernel
initrd /images/android_60r1/initrd.img

but well... it's not booting. Can somebody point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Chih-Wei Huang

Sep 20, 2016, 12:31:49 AM9/20/16
to Android-x86
<andro...@googlegroups.com>:
You didn't add any kernel cmdline.
At least androidboot.hardware is required.

androidboot.hardware=android_x86 (32-bit system)

or

androidboot.hardware=android_x86_64 (64-bit system)

Martin Claudio Cota

Sep 22, 2016, 11:45:57 PM9/22/16
to Android-x86
Hi, thanks for this, the missing _64 (for 64 bits) was my problem on my grub2 menu, before that I was stuck on ANDROID logo. The strange thing is that it used to work with 6.0-RC1. Anyway, the important thing is that it is working now on my Gigabyte Brix J1900.

My only problem so far is that I cannot make it SAVE anything, every reboot I start from ZERO, like persistence mode is not working even if I have the data folder (and installation) on an EXT4 partition on my HDD.

Is it possible that we need to change something on GRUB to enable persistence mode ? Any ideas ?

Thanks, I really love this project and it's amazing how fast Marshmellow is on my brix so far.

Chih-Wei Huang

Sep 22, 2016, 11:57:08 PM9/22/16
to Android-x86

> Hi, thanks for this, the missing _64 (for 64 bits) was my problem on my grub2 menu, before that I was stuck on ANDROID logo. The strange thing is that it used to work with 6.0-RC1. Anyway, the important thing is that it is working now on my Gigabyte Brix J1900.
>
> My only problem so far is that I cannot make it SAVE anything, every reboot I start from ZERO, like persistence mode is not working even if I have the data folder (and installation) on an EXT4 partition on my HDD.

Are your data folder in the android-x86 directory?

Enter debug mode, then check /tmp/log
after exit the first shell.
(i.e., after /data is mounted)

> Is it possible that we need to change something on GRUB to enable persistence mode ? Any ideas ?

Nope.

> Thanks, I really love this project and it's amazing how fast Marshmellow is on my brix so far.

Mr. Bizantium .

Sep 25, 2016, 6:34:08 AM9/25/16
to andro...@googlegroups.com

Set a flag in GRUB: DATA=

Martin Claudio Cota

Oct 3, 2016, 12:14:57 AM10/3/16
to Android-x86
Seems this fixed my problem. Had to change my install to EXT4, create data directory and point the grub to DATA=/android/data , now is storing my info without issues.

Thanks to both for your help.

Chih-Wei Huang

Oct 3, 2016, 5:32:39 AM10/3/16
to Android-x86
> Seems this fixed my problem. Had to change my install to EXT4, create data
> directory and point the grub to DATA=/android/data , now is storing my info
> without issues.

No need to add DATA=... in your case.

DATA=xxx is only meaningful if xxx
is a block device (i.e., a solo data partition)

OLIM Ahmed

Oct 5, 2016, 10:49:11 PM10/5/16
to Android-x86
Sound not working .so what is the problem

youling 257

Dec 3, 2016, 1:39:06 AM12/3/16
to Android-x86
modules.blacklist not work

在 2016年9月14日星期三 UTC+8下午2:43:42,Chih-Wei Huang写道: