Is it possible to (auto) update Android x86 to the newset version? (BEGINNER QUESTION)

已查看 1,342 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

DICH

未读,
2018年1月20日 20:49:082018/1/20
收件人 Android-x86
I am looking for OS for portable device that would be able to update for more than (only) 3 years as they often do.

If I install Android x86 NOUGAT OS 7.0, would It be updating to newest version  which is (for example) OREO 8.0 (or would I need to install the whole ANDROID x86 OS again)?
Would I at least be able have it (auto) updated from 7.0 to 7.5 for example?

Povilas Staniulis

未读,
2018年1月20日 20:57:402018/1/20
收件人 andro...@googlegroups.com
When updating to a new version, you need to reinstall.
If you want to preserve your apps and data between updates, use a
separate partiton for /data.

Be aware that this project does not release regular updates. Official
builds are only released when the maintainer thinks it's time to do so.
> --

Damjan Chinkole-Činkole

未读,
2018年1月20日 21:21:442018/1/20
收件人 andro...@googlegroups.com
Does the use of a separate partition for /data complicate all this?

Do you think (auto) updates will be possible in the future?

Damjan

On 2018.01.21 03:49, DICH wrote:
I am looking for OS for portable device that would be able to update for more than (only) 3 years as they often do.

If I install Android x86 NOUGAT OS 7.0, would It be updating to newest version  which is (for example) OREO 8.0 (or would I need to install the whole ANDROID x86 OS again)?
Would I at least be able have it (auto) updated from 7.0 to 7.5 for example?

Chih-Wei Huang

未读,
2018年1月22日 00:58:362018/1/22
收件人 Android-x86
> When updating to a new version, you need to reinstall.
> If you want to preserve your apps and data between updates, use a separate
> partiton for /data.

No No!
Just install a new version to the same partition as the older version.
The installer will guide you to update.
This works since 4.0 - 8.1.

Damjan Chinkole-Činkole

未读,
2018年1月22日 09:29:022018/1/22
收件人 andro...@googlegroups.com
​Thank you.

So if I go in ANDROID x86 to ABOUT DEVICE and do the update there​, it wont work?

Thanks

Damjan

Antony Stone

未读,
2018年1月22日 09:36:322018/1/22
收件人 andro...@googlegroups.com
On Monday 22 January 2018 at 15:28:07, Damjan Chinkole-Činkole wrote:

> ​Thank you.
>
> So if I go in ANDROID x86 to ABOUT DEVICE and do the update there​, it wont
> work?

No.

Antony.

--
I want to build a machine that will be proud of me.

- Danny Hillis, creator of The Connection Machine

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Damjan Chinkole-Činkole

未读,
2018年1月22日 09:39:252018/1/22
收件人 andro...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for info, I couldn't find that on the webpages.

do you think in the (near) future it will be possible to just update it inside Android ABOUT button?

Damjan

Antony Stone

未读,
2018年1月22日 09:44:352018/1/22
收件人 andro...@googlegroups.com
On Monday 22 January 2018 at 15:38:31, Damjan Chinkole-Činkole wrote:

> Thanks for info, I couldn't find that on the webpages.
>
> do you think in the (near) future it will be possible to just update it
> inside Android ABOUT button?

Personally I doubt it, but I'm not a developer, so I can't say whether anyone
will have a go at implementing this feature.

Antony.

--
"Remember: the S in IoT stands for Security."

- Jan-Piet Mens

Damjan Chinkole-Činkole

未读,
2018年1月22日 16:00:132018/1/22
收件人 andro...@googlegroups.com
How long could it take to (re) install?

Damjan

On 22 January 2018 at 06:58, Chih-Wei Huang <cwh...@android-x86.org> wrote:

Antony Stone

未读,
2018年1月22日 16:12:552018/1/22
收件人 andro...@googlegroups.com
On Monday 22 January 2018 at 21:59:19, Damjan Chinkole-Činkole wrote:

> How long could it take to (re) install?

Approximately the same length of time that it took to install in the first
place.

The exact answer depends so much upon your hardware and your Internet
connection that we can't possibly guess at how many minutes you may find it
takes.

Antony.

--
"Measuring average network latency is about as useful as measuring the mean
temperature of patients in a hospital."

- Stéphane Bortzmeyer

Povilas Staniulis

未读,