Ext3 format results in GRUB's Error 17

Nicolás Viola

Jul 7, 2014, 2:27:30 AM7/7/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi, the problem is that I first installed Android x86 in an NTFS partition of the hard disk, but found that it limited internal storage to 504 MB (partition is 30 GB though). Then I re-installed Android x86, choosing to format partition in Ext3 (because I learned it didn't have this storage issue if you choose to make the system r/w), but it resulted in Error 17 in GRUB, so I couldn't boot Windows 7 nor Android x86.
My question is, if I re-install Android x86 in Ext2, will this problem be solved?

Antony Stone

Jul 7, 2014, 11:43:45 AM7/7/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Very unlikely - ext3 is just an ext2 partition with a few extra flags (such as
journalling), which Grub doesn't care about.

You might try booting from a Linux LiveCD such as Knoppix or Ubuntu and
formatting the partition from that before installing Androis-x86 into it.

Regards,

Antony.

--
Programming is a Dark Art, and it will always be. The programmer is
fighting against the two most destructive forces in the universe:

- Damian Conway, Perl God

Please reply to the list;
please don't CC me.

Erdin Omanovic

Jul 7, 2014, 12:05:45 PM7/7/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
Before getting Error 17, have you tried to install rc2 to it ? When installed, did you tried to boot on it directly ? If yes, had you experienced ANDROID_ screen which never ends ?
Cheers

Krister Hallergard

Jul 8, 2014, 2:40:19 AM7/8/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
If you are on a BIOS/MBR system, this link might give you some clues: http://goo.gl/SxF3mu

mike r

Jul 8, 2014, 10:32:38 AM7/8/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com

Billy Thompson

Jul 10, 2014, 7:25:06 AM7/10/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I was seeing the same until formatting the target partition as ext3 *outside* the installer, by using Windows in my case. Then selected not to reformat in installer. See https://groups.google.com/forum/m/?hl=en#!topic/android-x86/toP9mp-KA9M

Ravi Singh

Apr 29, 2016, 8:39:55 AM4/29/16
to Android-x86
I have seen a post on a website which allows us to create a partition and then format it to ext4 (not NTFS). The program used is Gparted and then when you install Android on that partition, the entire space can be used to store files in android x86. That's amazing. Here is the link to that post http://techposts.org/install-android-6-0-marshmallow-laptop-pc/
Following this guide you can easily boot between Android and windows and use system as dual boot.

Mark Casey

May 10, 2017, 11:22:43 PM5/10/17
to Android-x86
On Thursday, 10 July 2014 12:25:06 UTC+1, Billy Thompson wrote:
> I was seeing the same until formatting the target partition as ext3 *outside* the installer, by using Windows in my case. Then selected not to reformat in installer. See https://groups.google.com/forum/m/?hl=en#!topic/android-x86/toP9mp-KA9M

Hi Billy. What tool did you use to format the drive in windows? I'm having an issue with internal data and need to format in ext3. Thanks