patch for android-x86 suspend

张宁

Aug 23, 2016, 12:37:07 AM8/23/16
to Android-x86
suspend issue is a long story issue.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/android-x86/wakeup_count/android-x86/Ky9e8m473Rw/fCLlhEO2SfEJ

from this topic, I know NETLINK block suspend.

so, android-x86 is using "earlysuspend" to workaround this issue.
but use "earlysuspend", system will suspend with a wake_lock.

in order to make wake_lock works, it need to revert these workaround patches, and fix NETLINK issue.

There is patch:

https://android.googlesource.com/platform/hardware/bsp/kernel/intel/minnowboard-v3.14/+/59852e419c19e26b776a5fcdc02856c3db2f7ee3%5E!/#F0

but this is for K-3.14

so I made some change to fit 4.x version. please check attachment.
and I have done test under Android-x86 6.0 r2

additional notes:
this patch is originally from intel's public repo.

0001-Silence-NETLINK-when-in-S3.patch

Chih-Wei Huang

Aug 23, 2016, 2:12:16 AM8/23/16
to Android-x86
> suspend issue is a long story issue.
>
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/android-x86/wakeup_count/android-x86/Ky9e8m473Rw/fCLlhEO2SfEJ
>
> from this topic, I know NETLINK block suspend.
>
> so, android-x86 is using "earlysuspend" to workaround this issue.
> but use "earlysuspend", system will suspend with a wake_lock.
>
> in order to make wake_lock works, it need to revert these workaround
> patches, and fix NETLINK issue.
>
> There is patch:
>
> https://android.googlesource.com/platform/hardware/bsp/kernel/intel/minnowboard-v3.14/+/59852e419c19e26b776a5fcdc02856c3db2f7ee3%5E!/#F0
>
> but this is for K-3.14
>
> so I made some change to fit 4.x version. please check attachment.

Thank you for the patch.
I'll try it.

> and I have done test under Android-x86 6.0 r2

What devices have you tested?

--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project

张宁

Aug 23, 2016, 5:37:38 AM8/23/16
to Android-x86
Test device: Dell Optiplex desktop with CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz × 8

Kamal Masarweh

Aug 24, 2016, 4:39:00 AM8/24/16
to Android-x86
Can you explain what does it do exactly? Does this fix the standyby mode and suspend issues on Androidx86 ?

Chih-Wei Huang

Sep 2, 2016, 3:34:07 AM9/2/16
to Android-x86
>> suspend issue is a long story issue.
>>
>> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/android-x86/wakeup_count/android-x86/Ky9e8m473Rw/fCLlhEO2SfEJ
>>
>> from this topic, I know NETLINK block suspend.
>>
>> so, android-x86 is using "earlysuspend" to workaround this issue.
>> but use "earlysuspend", system will suspend with a wake_lock.
>>
>> in order to make wake_lock works, it need to revert these workaround
>> patches, and fix NETLINK issue.
>>
>> There is patch:
>>
>> https://android.googlesource.com/platform/hardware/bsp/kernel/intel/minnowboard-v3.14/+/59852e419c19e26b776a5fcdc02856c3db2f7ee3%5E!/#F0
>>
>> but this is for K-3.14
>>
>> so I made some change to fit 4.x version. please check attachment.
>
> Thank you for the patch.
> I'll try it.

The patch works as expected.
I've pushed it into our kernel repo.
Thank you for the contribution.

张宁

Sep 8, 2016, 1:00:27 AM9/8/16
to Android-x86
glade to hear that. is wakeup_count default for libsuspend?

Chih-Wei Huang

Sep 8, 2016, 1:18:18 AM9/8/16
to Android-x86
> glade to hear that. is wakeup_count default for libsuspend?

I think I'll keep it as in 6.0.
May change it to default in 7.0.

张宁

Sep 12, 2016, 1:20:43 AM9/12/16
to Android-x86
so, bad.

张宁

Sep 12, 2016, 1:26:24 AM9/12/16
to Android-x86
one more thing..

could you apply this patch to all 4.x branch?