Root access on a user build for servicing?

apar...@d3engineering.com

Mar 21, 2018, 6:55:44 PM3/21/18
to android-porting
Is there a way for a service team to get root access on a user build, for diagnosing issues with a device?

We're working on a new device based on Android. Of course, the devices, once released, will be running user builds of the software, which do not allow root access through ADB.

However, we need our client's service team to be able to run diagnostic tools on defective devices that they are servicing. These tools need access to several hardware device files, and we would rather not allow normal end-users to be able to run these tools, so they require root. But since there's no way to run programs as root on a user build of Android, we are investigating options for allowing the manufacturer to run the tools while disallowing end users.

I've looked through source.android.com, but I didn't see anything relevant. I'm also having a hard time with Google; most of the results are for end-users who want to root their devices, not the manufacturer.

Is there a standard way for the company that built the device to gain root access to devices running user builds, without erasing the user's data?

---
Sincerely, Alex Parrill
D3 Engineering

Satish Patel

Mar 26, 2018, 11:08:52 AM3/26/18
to apar...@d3engineering.com, android-porting
​Possibly to default stock Android - Answer is no. But you can induce a custom system service which can run these tests with special credential checks (offline or online)

 ​

---
Sincerely, Alex Parrill
D3 Engineering