kernel for Android 4.4.4

s.rawat

Mar 1, 2015, 3:09:15 PM3/1/15
to pandaboard, android-porting, android...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
Earlier I have built kernel(kernel 3.0.31) and Android for Pandaboard(4.1,4.3 and 4.4.4, and even 4.4.4_r2)
All the Android version go smooth with kernel 3.0.31.
Now I want kernel to be changed to 3.15+(3.18,3.19).

by following below steps :

$ git clone https://android.googlesource.com/device/ti/panda
$ cd panda
$ git log
--max-count=1 kernel

I could get this :

Author: Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@google.com>
Date:   Mon Dec 3 18:57:54 2012 -0800

    New PandaBoard kernel

    Built from kernel cb5fc502c60be9305c5a007be335e860d9e7c0cb

    cb5fc50 Revert "I2C: OMAP: correct SYSC register offset for OMAP4"
    623520a ARM:Panda: Add TI ST HCI flag
    582ab23 Bluetooth: Add tty HCI driver

    Change-Id: Ib3d6b2c809f0f88586455c4056f92511a845c70b

and the kernel version as  Linux version 3.0.31-gcb5fc50 (j...@jqueru.mtv.corp.google.com) (gcc version 4.6.x-google 20120106 (prerelease) (GCC) ) #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Dec 3 18:52:22 PST 2012

by following below  :

$ dd if=kernel bs=1 skip=$(LC_ALL=C grep -a -b -o $'\x1f\x8b\x08\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00' kernel | cut -d ':' -f 1) | zgrep -a 'Linux version'

Now how can I get the kernel vers 3.15 or higher for Android 4.4.4+.Is it supported or do i have to take plain vanila kernel from the linux.kernel.org and config it for pandaboard.
Or is there some other distribution for the same(Linaro??)

Please suggest !

Amit Pundir

Mar 1, 2015, 3:09:41 PM3/1/15
to android...@googlegroups.com, pandaboard, android-porting
Linaro supported Android builds for Pandaboard are still on 3.2.0
primarily due to hardware graphics (SGX) dependency. If you can live
without hardware graphics then try one for the pandaboard kernels from
here: https://github.com/RobertCNelson/armv7-multiplatform/. You can
find build and install instructions here:
https://eewiki.net/display/linuxonarm/PandaBoard#PandaBoard-LinuxKernel.
I believe it is vanilla Pandaboard kernel so you may have to pull in
Android kernel topic branch for your kernel from here:
https://android.git.linaro.org/gitweb/kernel/linaro-android.git.

Regards,
Amit Pundir

> Please suggest !
>
> --

s.rawat

Mar 2, 2015, 10:17:13 AM3/2/15
to pandaboard, Amit Pundir, android...@googlegroups.com, android-porting
Sorry for asking before trying this.I will try this and post my update.

On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 9:49 AM, Robert Nelson <robert...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sun, Mar 1, 2015 at 9:43 PM, s.rawat <imsaura...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes , I have followed RobertCNelson link.It has kernel 3.18 but not for
> Android.I was looking for Android + Kernel 3.18+ option.
> Anyway thanks !

Please take a closer at my kernel config.  If you don't understand
what makes the linux config boot up with android root file system. We
just won't be able to help you.

Regards,

--
Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/

s.rawat

Mar 2, 2015, 10:17:13 AM3/2/15
to Amit Pundir, android...@googlegroups.com, pandaboard, android-porting
Yes , I have followed RobertCNelson link.It has kernel 3.18 but not for Android.I was looking for Android + Kernel 3.18+ option.
Anyway thanks !

Amit Pundir

Mar 2, 2015, 10:17:14 AM3/2/15
to s.rawat, android...@googlegroups.com, android-porting
On 2 March 2015 at 09:13, s.rawat <imsaura...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes , I have followed RobertCNelson link.It has kernel 3.18 but not for
> Android.I was looking for Android + Kernel 3.18+ option.

If you are looking for Android + Kernel 3.18 option, then this
official experimental Android tree
https://android.googlesource.com/kernel/common/+log/experimental/android-3.18
is your best bet. Merge it in the Pandaboard 3.18 kernel you are
using. It should give you Android booting on Pandaboard, with limited
features though.

Regards,
Amit Pundir