Android headless configuration

Evgeny Erlihman

Nov 20, 2015, 3:29:21 PM11/20/15
to android-porting
Hello all,

I am thinking about using Android in a product without a screen. Does
any body knows about some documentation for building a headless
android image and more importantly writing applications to run on it?

I found the ro.config.headless flag, but from what i understand it has
some issues.

Thanks,
Evgeny

Gary Bisson

Nov 23, 2015, 9:14:45 AM11/23/15
to android-porting
Hi,

I've made a presentation about just that some time ago:

BUT, this was based on KitKat, since then the ro.config.headless has been completely removed:

It all depends on what you want to do, but maybe you should wait a little bit for more info on Brillo OS. It clearly will be some kind of headless Android but without Java though, the SDK is most likely for C/C++.

Regards,
Gary

Evgeny Erlihman

Nov 23, 2015, 10:24:44 AM11/23/15
to android-porting
Hi Gary,

I have read your presentation several times before i posted here :)

I did look at the Brillo OS, unfortunately it is not available for developers yet. My concern with it is that it targets the smart home devices while what we are developing here would have a bit more functionality. So this is the reason that a headless Android seemed like a perfect match, a great framework with lots of goodies that enables quick development using the existing building blocks.
 I have spent the last week looking for headless Android mode solutions/examples, but it seems like all the examples are from at least two years ago...

Thanks,
Evgeny

Gary Bisson

Dec 4, 2015, 1:44:39 PM12/4/15
to android-porting
Hi,

Sorry for the late reply. I agree all the examples must be old now and I'm not sure if anyone will venture into doing it again since Google made it clear they didn't want it.

As for Brillo, the source code is already available actually:

Regards,
Gary