adb USB gadget driver now available

Mike Lockwood

Oct 30, 2008, 7:37:39 PM10/30/08
to android...@googlegroups.com
FYI - a USB gadget driver for adb is now available:

http://android.git.kernel.org/?p=kernel/common.git;a=commit;h=fc20ff5191502a6c0bb9e112cea56feea8d12f4e

This should be useful to anyone porting android to non msm-7200 platforms, as it will allow you to run adbd on the device using the standard Linux USB gadget support.  On msm we are using a different approach that supports multiple USB interfaces (so we can run USB mass storage and adb simultaneously).  But we plan on cleaning that up and switching to the new composite gadget support when we move to the 2.6.27 kernel.

--
Mike Lockwood
Google android team

Ben Leslie

Oct 31, 2008, 5:40:56 PM10/31/08
to android...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Mike, that is really helpful! Will try it out soon.

Cheers,

Benno

Shivdas

Nov 24, 2008, 8:57:34 AM11/24/08
to Mike Lockwood, android...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike,

Does this driver works with Linux, because as I see its enumerating as
a Vendor specific device, with ProductId 0001 and Vendor Id 0x18d1

Have you written any specific driver for Linux/windows at Host side to
communicate with this?

Regards,
Shivdas

Mike Lockwood

Nov 24, 2008, 9:25:29 AM11/24/08
to Shivdas, android...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 8:57 AM, Shivdas <shivda...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
> Does this driver works with Linux, because as I see its enumerating as
> a Vendor specific device, with ProductId 0001 and Vendor Id 0x18d1

Yes, this driver works with Linux, Windows and Mac. It works with the
adb tool included in the android SDK or with the adb built from the
android source code available from android.com.

The 0x18d1 vendor ID belongs to Google. If you ship your own device,
you will need to get your own vendor ID from usb.org. You will also
need to modify the is_adb_interface() function in transport_usb.c in
the adb source code. The adb source code for adb is available at:
http://android.git.kernel.org/?p=platform/system/core.git;a=tree;f=adb.
This code includes both the host and device side adb.

> Have you written any specific driver for Linux/windows at Host side to
> communicate with this?

No host side driver is necessary for Mac or Linux. For Windows, a
driver is available at
http://dl.google.com/android/android_usb_windows.zip. This driver is
set up to communicate with the T-Mobile G1. You will need to modify
the *.inf file that comes with the driver to match VID/PID used by
your device.

Mike

Burak Day

Sep 22, 2016, 10:25:38 AM9/22/16
to android-porting, shivda...@gmail.com

Hey Mike,

I know it's very late but i need an answer about using abd between two linuxes; one running adbd (adb daemon), the other one having adb server to connect daemon side.
Can you guide me?

Thanks.