Android tinyalsa: cannot open device '/dev/snd/pcmC1D0c': Permission denied

Markham Anderson

Nov 4, 2016, 3:26:59 AM11/4/16
to android-porting

I'm afraid I'm quite lost because I've built an Android app that uses tinyalsa through jni, but when I call pcm_open, I get:

cannot open device '/dev/snd/pcmC1D0c': Permission denied

I do see the file in question if I su -c 'ls /dev/snd' on adb shell. In fact, if I statthis file and the directories above it, all the way up to the root directory, the permissions that statoutputs conform to the permissions that I see on my ordinary linux workstation:

All of the directories are 0755/drwxr-xr-x, and the file itself is 0660/crw-rw----.

Is my approach wrong? I am attempting to use tinyalsa by adding pcm.c and an Android.mk file to compile it as a module. Then in another .c file, I call pcm_open.

Please, why would Android deny me permission, and what do I need to do about it?

Sayli Benadikar

Apr 18, 2017, 11:44:18 PM4/18/17
to android-porting
I've hit the same issue in trying to use tinyalsa via the NDK. Markham, were you able to get past this?