kernel built error

krishna chaitanya

May 4, 2011, 7:46:56 AM5/4/11
to android-porting
Hi,

I have downloaded the latest kernel code using
git clone git://android.git.kernel.org/kernel/common.git.

After that I have run the following commands

make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-eabi- oldconfig // to set .config
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-eabi-

i have got the error.Following are the logs:

CHK include/linux/version.h
CHK include/generated/utsrelease.h
make[1]: `include/generated/mach-types.h' is up to date.
CC kernel/bounds.s
GEN include/generated/bounds.h
CC arch/arm/kernel/asm-offsets.s
GEN include/generated/asm-offsets.h
CALL scripts/checksyscalls.sh
CC init/main.o
CHK include/generated/compile.h
CC init/version.o
CC init/do_mounts.o
CC init/do_mounts_rd.o
CC init/do_mounts_initrd.o
CC init/do_mounts_md.o
LD init/mounts.o
CC init/initramfs.o
LD init/built-in.o
CC arch/arm/kernel/elf.o
AS arch/arm/kernel/entry-armv.o
AS arch/arm/kernel/entry-common.o
CC arch/arm/kernel/irq.o
CC arch/arm/kernel/process.o
CC arch/arm/kernel/ptrace.o
CC arch/arm/kernel/return_address.o
CC arch/arm/kernel/setup.o
CC arch/arm/kernel/signal.o
CC arch/arm/kernel/sys_arm.o
CC arch/arm/kernel/stacktrace.o
CC arch/arm/kernel/time.o
CC arch/arm/kernel/traps.o
arm-eabi-ld: internal error in relocate_special_relocatable, at /home/
jingyu/projects/gcc/android-toolchainsrc/build/../binutils/
binutils-2.19/gold/arm.cc:9524
make[1]: *** [arch/arm/kernel/traps.o] Error 1
make: *** [arch/arm/kernel] Error 2

Can someone please help me by telling why i have got the error.

Thanks,
Krishna Chaitanya.

freakingtux

May 9, 2011, 5:13:01 AM5/9/11
to android...@googlegroups.com

On Wednesday, May 4, 2011 1:46:56 PM UTC+2, krishna chaitanya wrote:
Hi,

I have downloaded the latest kernel code using
git clone git://android.git.kernel.org/kernel/common.git.

After that I have run the following commands

make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-eabi- oldconfig // to set .config
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-eabi-

  CC      arch/arm/kernel/traps.o
arm-eabi-ld: internal error in relocate_special_relocatable, at /home/
jingyu/projects/gcc/android-toolchainsrc/build/../binutils/
binutils-2.19/gold/arm.cc:9524
make[1]: *** [arch/arm/kernel/traps.o] Error 1
make: *** [arch/arm/kernel] Error 2

Hi The path here looks suspicious did you compile your own toolchain?

krishna chaitanya

May 9, 2011, 6:46:54 AM5/9/11
to android-porting
Hi freakingtux,

Can you please explain what is toolchain and how to complie it?I am
new to this.

Thanks & regards,
Krishna Chaitanya.

freakingtux

May 9, 2011, 9:44:52 AM5/9/11
to android...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

On Monday, May 9, 2011 12:46:54 PM UTC+2, krishna chaitanya wrote:
Hi freakingtux,

Can you please explain what is toolchain and how to complie it?I am
new to this.
You need to get yourself a proper toolchain and you do not necessarily want to compile it  yourself. if you follow http://source.android.com/source/downloading.html you will have the toolchain in prebuilt/linux-x86/toolchain/. If you don't know what a toolchain is it would be best to do some searching on the web

Greetings

Ashwini Singh

May 10, 2011, 10:25:43 AM5/10/11
to android-porting
Hi Krishna,

First of all,
please check if you have prebuilt toolchain in your codebase.
If not 'git' clone it.

after that, jump to the
../prebuilt
and select your host.

If you are using ubuntu (say), jump to
../prebuilt/linux-86

then, 'toolchain'
../prebuilt/linux-86/toolchain

Now, you'll see many toolchains...
choose the one you want to.

EXAMPLE:
export PATH=$PATH:/home/MyAndroidCodeBase/prebuilt/linux-86/toolchain/
arm-eabi-4.4.0/bin
export CROSS_COMPILE=arm-eabi-
export ARCH=arm

RECOMMENDATION:
* use prebuilt toolchain or 'arm gnu gcc' compiler from
codesourcery...
* visit webpages for related info (recommended 'toolchain version' for
your environment).

Regards,

On May 9, 6:44 pm, freakingtux <kees.jongenbur...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Monday, May 9, 2011 12:46:54 PM UTC+2, krishna chaitanya wrote:
>
> > Hi freakingtux,
>
> > Can you please explain what is toolchain and how to complie it?I am
> > new to this.
>
> You need to get yourself a proper toolchain and you do not necessarily want
> to compile it  yourself. if you followhttp://source.android.com/source/downloading.htmlyou will have the

tr4nc3

Feb 7, 2012, 10:02:38 PM2/7/12
to android...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I am getting the same error:
root@bt:~/bin/kern/kern-src# make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-eabi-
  CHK     include/linux/version.h
  CHK     include/generated/utsrelease.h
make[1]: `include/generated/mach-types.h' is up to date.
  CALL    scripts/checksyscalls.sh
  CHK     include/generated/compile.h
  LD      arch/arm/kernel/built-in.o

arm-eabi-ld: internal error in relocate_special_relocatable, at /home/jingyu/projects/gcc/android-toolchainsrc/build/../binutils/binutils-2.19/gold/arm.cc:9524
make[1]: *** [arch/arm/kernel/built-in.o] Error 1

make: *** [arch/arm/kernel] Error 2

How did you solve this?

Thanks,
Rajat.

Alvin Wong

Feb 8, 2012, 9:48:04 PM2/8/12
to android-porting
Hi,

Perhaps you can try getting a build toolchain via Buildroot:
http://buildroot.uclibc.org/

Good luck,
Alvin Wong