iperf reports network 10x slower on android than linux

pkala...@gmail.com

Jun 13, 2016, 10:56:04 PM6/13/16
to android-porting
I have an Odroid C1 (small linux computer that can also run Android), and I noticed network speeds were much slower when I was running Android than when running Linux.

I tested the device with iperf and found that I was able to get 934Mbits/s on Linux vs only 152Mbits/s on Android.

I used the iperf contained in he.net's Network Tools app. When run with the "-v" flag it indicates it's running "iperf version 2.0.5 (08 Jul 2010) pthreads", the same as I ran on Linux.

Using ethtool I've already verified that the ethernet interface on Android and Linux both have their speed set to 1000Mb/s, and both are in full duplex mode.

I can't think of a reason for such a performance difference between Linux and Android, and I'm not quite sure where to begin debugging this problem. My Android instance was not downloading any software at the time; it was a freshly booted image that was basically idle.

Any idea what could cause the ethernet interface to be so much slower on Android than Linux?

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

Peter