audio output latency measurement suggestion

George Tsiros

Apr 3, 2015, 7:47:40 PM4/3/15
to android...@googlegroups.com
use the accelerometer. as far as i can tell, the accelerometer sensor data is not buffered thus latency is minimal

rest device on something soft (i used cigarette rolling filters)

set accelerometer to maximum refresh rate, on my xperia z ultra it is 200 Hz

output pulses (say 1% duty cycle at 1 Hz) at maximum possible amplitude

measure difference in time between request for sound playback and movement detected via the accelerometer

some tweaking will be necessary to filter out the noise from the signal

Glenn Kasten

Apr 6, 2015, 11:49:01 AM4/6/15
to android...@googlegroups.com
Very creative suggestion!  It sounds like you have already done this test;
would you be willing to share some graphical data showing the relationship between the two pulses?
(e.g. a graph with time on X axis, and both accelerometer data and audio data on Y axis in different colors)

George Tsiros

Apr 9, 2015, 10:37:30 AM4/9/15
to android...@googlegroups.com

I am sorry to disappoint, but i have not performed any measurements as of yet.

and now that i think about it, 5 ms accuracy isn't anything to write home about... back to the drawing board, i guess :(