Steps for begginer (Porting Tutorial)

Jaimin Ajmeri

Jul 22, 2015, 1:25:49 AM7/22/15
to android-porting
Hi People,

I would like to learn porting android os to allwinner a20 processor. I want to learn the process involved in porting android os to a new board. Please guide through the process.

Thanks,
Jaimin

Raul Piper

Jul 22, 2015, 10:35:19 AM7/22/15
to jaimin...@gmail.com, android-porting
Hi Jaimin,
Is your allwinner a20 processor listed under the list of Processors(Soc) mentioned in the list of AOSP(android Open Source kernel) kernels here : (under Figuring out which kernel to build : )

DeviceBinary locationSource locationBuild configuration
shamudevice/moto/shamu-kernelkernel/msmshamu_defconfig
fugudevice/asus/fugu-kernelkernel/x86_64fugu_defconfig
volantisdevice/htc/flounder-kernelkernel/tegraflounder_defconfig
hammerheaddevice/lge/hammerhead-kernelkernel/msmhammerhead_defconfig
flodevice/asus/flo-kernel/kernelkernel/msmflo_defconfig
debdevice/asus/flo-kernel/kernelkernel/msmflo_defconfig
mantadevice/samsung/manta/kernelkernel/exynosmanta_defconfig
makodevice/lge/mako-kernel/kernelkernel/msmmako_defconfig
grouperdevice/asus/grouper/kernelkernel/tegrategra3_android_defconfig
tilapiadevice/asus/grouper/kernelkernel/tegrategra3_android_defconfig
magurodevice/samsung/tuna/kernelkernel/omaptuna_defconfig
torodevice/samsung/tuna/kernelkernel/omaptuna_defconfig
pandadevice/ti/panda/kernelkernel/omappanda_defconfig
stingraydevice/moto/wingray/kernelkernel/tegrastingray_defconfig
wingraydevice/moto/wingray/kernelkernel/tegrastingray_defconfig
crespodevice/samsung/crespo/kernelkernel/samsungherring_defconfig
crespo4gdevice/samsung/crespo/kernelkernel/samsungherring_defconfig

If it is there it is fairly easy to start the porting process :
As a summary these will be the steps :

1.Download the Android source (start with Kitkat : 4.4.4 ) and build it , follow : http://source.android.com/source/building-running.html
2.Download the kernel source for your board and build it. follow : http://source.android.com/source/building-kernels.html
3.Link the zImage of the kernel built in #2 at arch/<processor-type>/boot/zImage (use ln -s <location of zImage> kernel)
4.Build the Android as whole or build the bootimage - make bootimage
5.Now in the device/<manufacture>/<device-name>/ there must be a README to flash the board you have using fastboot.
6.Using #5 Use the images formed in the  out/target/product/<your device name> - system.img ,boot.img and userdata.img as  formed after #4 (for all images ) to flash your board.
7.Connect your Board with the HDMI cable to a Display screen and connect it using USB cable for USB adb debugging.

You can connect the minicom to get the output while your board boots(kernel) up by connecting RS232-to-USB cable with your board .
If you find any issue post the logs here .

and follow below points sequentially :

Have a good luck exploring your board with the Android.
Rgds,
Rp

Anthony Chiesa

Aug 26, 2015, 6:21:33 AM8/26/15
to raulpb...@gmail.com, android-porting, jaimin...@gmail.com

Brian Yee

Sep 3, 2015, 8:33:29 PM9/3/15
to android-porting
Hi Raul,

So if I wanted to build for the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7, which has the Exynos 5433 CPU I could use the 'kernel/exynos' option listed in the table?  Thus I can build the vanilla AOSP and put it on the tablet?  How would I get things like the drivers for the video card, camera and other hardware in the build?

I believe  cyanogenmod has a build, but I want to learn how to do it myself so I can play around with the AOSP, make changes and put it on the tablet.

If not how would I go about doing this with the Samsung tablet i have referenced?  Buying a Nexus 9 is out of the questions right now.

Thanks for any help!
-Brian

Glenn Kasten

Sep 3, 2015, 8:39:22 PM9/3/15
to android-porting
I recommend this site also:
The "interfaces" section describe the major Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL)
interfaces that you will need to implement when you port to a new device.

Brian Yee

Sep 3, 2015, 9:14:28 PM9/3/15
to android-porting
So basically I would need to write my own drivers for video and whatnot to get everything working?

Zeeshan Khan

Sep 5, 2015, 12:44:02 AM9/5/15
to android-porting
No. You might be able to find the driver source code that you need from other devices, just need to search them up. You can find these drivers in the current Rom installed on your device under /system/lib/hw.

Raul Piper

Sep 6, 2015, 2:56:12 PM9/6/15
to android-porting
reposting....
So if I wanted to build for the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7, which has the Exynos 5433 CPU I could use the 'kernel/exynos' option listed in the table?
>> Correct
Thus I can build the vanilla AOSP and put it on the tablet?
>> Yes .But be sure it can brick your tab as well.No warranty/Guarantee applied for this.

 How would I get things like the drivers for the video card, camera and other hardware in the build?
>>you should look for the sources for the Tab first on : http://opensource.samsung.com/reception.do

I believe  cyanogenmod has a build, but I want to learn how to do it myself so I can play around with the AOSP, make changes and put it on the tablet.
>>No idea about cyanogenmod  for Samsung Tablet.Sorry for this.

If not how would I go about doing this with the Samsung tablet i have referenced?  Buying a Nexus 9 is out of the questions right now.
>>Why Nexus 9 is out of of the Question.Samsung you know not that much open .Isnt it?
Thanks for any help!

Raul Piper

Sep 8, 2015, 3:09:53 PM9/8/15
to android-porting
Here is the link for the Kernel for Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 :

Model name s GT-P3113