GpsLocationProvider's SUPL support.

Praneet

May 27, 2009, 5:53:26 AM5/27/09
to android-platform
Hello Team,

There are a couple of native functions included in GpsLocationProvider
for SUPL support.
1. native void native_set_supl_server(int addr, int port)
2. native void native_set_supl_apn(String apn)

Can you please let me know when native_set_supl_apn() function will be
called? Is this function included to support SUPL's Network Initiated
Case, where SUPL_INIT message comes as SMS trigger/WAP push?

Thanks & Regards,
Praneet Kumar A.

Mike Lockwood

May 27, 2009, 9:27:03 AM5/27/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
native_set_supl_server is only called once to set the SUPL server
based on a hostname and port number in the /system/etc/gps.conf file.
We do not have support for network initiated SUPL yet - only mobile
initiated at this point.

Mike
--
Mike Lockwood
Google android team

Praneet

May 27, 2009, 10:07:44 AM5/27/09
to android-platform
Thanks Mike.
Can you please explain about native_set_supl_apn() briefly?

Thanks & Regards,
Praneet Kumar A.

Mike Lockwood

Jun 4, 2009, 12:42:46 AM6/4/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
In the current HTC phones, the Qualcomm GPS handles all the SUPL
support within the firmware running on the radio processor. As I
mentioned earlier, we need to tell it the server address and port
number, and it taps into the cellular data connection to communicate
with the server and packet filters the incoming data so the code on
the application processor never notices the SUPL transactions.

But in order for this to work the data connection needs to be
established first. So there is an API for the GPS firmware (running
on the radio processor) to request the a data connection be brought up
so it can communicate with the SUPL server. In cupcake, this is only
working if a data connection is already available. But in donut, we
are now bringing up the data connection on demand (which is necessary
when Wifi is enabled, since we shut down the cellular data connection
when Wifi is up). After the data connection is available, we tell the
GPS engine the APN name for the data connection it should use. that
is what the native_set_supl_apn.

As you can see, this is pretty specific to the Qualcomm GPS
implementation on the existing HTC phones. We may need to do
something a bit different in order to support SUPL for other GPS
solutions.

Mike

Raghav

Jun 11, 2009, 3:01:27 PM6/11/09
to android-platform
Hello Mike,

Cupcake version 1.5 says Location provider is enhanced by using SUPL.

1) Does Android has its own SUPL? What all features does it support eg
MSA, MSB, Assistance delivery, RRC, RRLP.
2) How well this SUPL is tested? Can we rely on this SUPL
implementation?
3) What version of SUPL does it support is it SUPL 1.0 ot 2.0?
4) Does this version provided option to use external SUPL eg by
providing APIs to setup secured data connections etc.

Raghav

On Jun 4, 9:42 am, Mike Lockwood <lockw...@android.com> wrote:
> In the current HTC phones, the Qualcomm GPS handles all theSUPL
> support within the firmware running on the radio processor.  As I
> mentioned earlier, we need to tell it the server address and port
> number, and it taps into the cellular data connection to communicate
> with the server and packet filters the incoming data so the code on
> the application processor never notices theSUPLtransactions.
>
> But in order for this to work the data connection needs to be
> established first.  So there is an API for the GPS firmware (running
> on the radio processor) to request the a data connection be brought up
> so it can communicate with theSUPLserver.  In cupcake, this is only
> working if a data connection is already available.  But in donut, we
> are now bringing up the data connection on demand (which is necessary
> when Wifi is enabled, since we shut down the cellular data connection
> when Wifi is up).  After the data connection is available, we tell the
> GPS engine the APN name for the data connection it should use.  that
> is what the native_set_supl_apn.
>
> As you can see, this is pretty specific to the Qualcomm GPS
> implementation on the existing HTC phones.  We may need to do
> something a bit different in order to supportSUPLfor other GPS
> solutions.
>
> Mike
>

> On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 7:07 AM, Praneet <a.praneet.ku...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Thanks Mike.
> > Can you please explain about native_set_supl_apn() briefly?
>
> > Thanks & Regards,
> > Praneet Kumar A.
>
> > On May 27, 6:27 pm, Mike Lockwood <lockw...@android.com> wrote:
> >> native_set_supl_server is only called once to set theSUPLserver
> >> based on a hostname and port number in the /system/etc/gps.conf file.
> >> We do not have support for network initiatedSUPLyet - only mobile
> >> initiated at this point.
>
> >> Mike

> >> --
> >> Mike Lockwood
> >> Google android team
>
> --
> Mike Lockwood
> Google android team- Hide quoted text -

Mike Lockwood

Jun 11, 2009, 9:21:03 PM6/11/09
On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 3:01 PM, Raghav<rag...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Mike,
>
> Cupcake version 1.5 says Location provider is enhanced by using SUPL.
>
> 1) Does Android has its own SUPL? What all features does it support eg
> MSA, MSB, Assistance delivery, RRC, RRLP.

Yes, Google has its own SUPL server. I'm not sure what the exact
features are that it supports. We are just using it for MSB right
now. On the device side we are using the SUPL implementation in
Qualcomm's firmware for the 7201A chipset.

> 2) How well this SUPL is tested? Can we rely on this SUPL
> implementation?

I'm not sure what you mean. Who is "we"? If you are planning on
shipping a million phones and want to use our SUPL server, you should
probably talk to us first :-)

> 3) What version of SUPL does it support is it SUPL 1.0 ot 2.0?

1.0

> 4) Does this version provided option to use external SUPL eg by
> providing APIs to setup secured data connections etc.

Our SSL server supports secure connections, but we are not using that
currently on the G1.

Mike

Raghav

Jun 24, 2009, 7:23:39 AM6/24/09
to android-platform
thanks for your response Mike.

Do you mean Google has its own SUPL CLient?

Mike Lockwood

Jun 24, 2009, 10:17:29 AM6/24/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
There is a SUPL client in the GPS firmware from Qualcomm on the HTC
Dream and Magic devices. But that is specific to the chipset used in
those phones. There is no SUPL client in android itself.

Mike

Raghav

Jun 29, 2009, 3:07:19 AM6/29/09
to android-platform
How have you managed to provide Certificates for creating Secured data
connection to GPS firnware.?

Mike Lockwood

Jun 29, 2009, 8:34:39 AM6/29/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I haven't done that yet. For the devices I have been involved in we
are using SUPL without SSL. If you need help getting secure SUPL
working you should probably talk to Qualcomm (or your GPS vendor, if
you are using a different chipset).

Mike

Praneet

Jul 27, 2009, 3:23:52 AM7/27/09
to android-platform
Hello Group,

For GpsLocationProvider to set SUPL server address, 'SUPL_HOST' and
'SUPL_PORT' should be included in /etc/gps.conf file. Can you please
let me as to how this file is parsed for extracting this information?
I've added the following content to my gps.conf file but
GpsLocationProvider is not able to read the data. ( .i.e mSuplHost and
portString are still NULL)

My gps.conf's contents:
SUPL_HOST=<IP_Address>
SUPL_PORT=<Port_Number>

Thanks & Regards,
Praneet Kumar A.

Mike Lockwood

Jul 27, 2009, 9:26:39 AM7/27/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Your syntax for the SUPL_HOST and SUPL_PORT look right to me. I think
the problem might be that you are using an IP address instead of a
host name. I have not tried that myself, but it is possible that our
gethostbyname() can't handle that. So GpsLocationProvider might need
to check if the SUPL_HOST is an IP address and parse the string
accordingly instead of attempting to do a DNS lookup on the IP address
string.

Mike

Kokob

Aug 5, 2009, 11:33:55 PM8/5/09
to android-platform
Hi Mike,

Could we use Google SUPL server to test the MSA and MSB mode during
our development?

If it is possibile, could you provide the server ip and port?

thanks,

kokob
> Google android team- 隱藏被引用文字 -
>
> - 顯示被引用文字 -

Mike Lockwood

Aug 22, 2009, 9:08:06 AM8/22/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
In your gps.conf, add:

SUPL_HOST=supl.google.com
SUPL_PORT=7276

It should be OK to use this for testing, but if you want to ship a
phone using this server you will need to talk to us first.

Mike

Marius

Jan 11, 2011, 5:54:02 AM1/11/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
If I have a Galaxy s phone can I use the data provided above

SUPL_HOST=supl.google.com
SUPL_PORT=7276

or there is any other better solution.

Salih YILMAZ

Feb 24, 2014, 9:51:01 AM2/24/14
to android-...@googlegroups.com

Hello Mike,
We want to use supl.google.com in our handheld terminals. We are currently using M3 and Intermec terminals. How should we embed the SUPL server / port info into the terminal ? Secondly, If the vendor embeds SUPL server name into the terminal, is any additional action required or it will work automatically ? (We are using internet connection over GPRS/EDGE)
Thanks in advance,
Salih YILMAZ

Aakash Kaushal

Nov 9, 2014, 11:23:25 PM11/9/14
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike,

I have just joined this group. We are working on SUPL ver 1 and we have tested few SET initiated senarios with sulp.google.com server with port =7275.

we are working on Triggered Services scenario with google server. we dont know does google server support SUPL ver 2 or not.
1. To verify we send SUPL_TRIGGERED_START  message to google server but we recieved SUPL END messages sometime with cause "version not supported" or "InvalidSessionID" . In triggered start message as per OMA specification for Ver2 session Id should be 2 always.

2. In a second case we just send SUPL_START message to Google server with sessionId =2 to see what happen. We recieved SUPL-END with cause

"positioningNotPermitted". While we have made sucessful SSL conection with the server

can you help us out whatwrong thing we are doing. Does google server support SUPL ver2.

regards
aakash kaushal

Aakash Kaushal

Nov 9, 2014, 11:29:37 PM11/9/14
to android-...@googlegroups.com
hi Mike ,

one mistake in my post i mean to say we have set Version.Major =2 in ulp header as per OMA specification for SUPLver 2 scenario Not Session Id.

Apologise for mistake.

regards
aakash kaushal

Thomas Archer

Feb 19, 2016, 12:07:40 AM2/19/16
to android-platform
Hi Mike, do you have a source on all HTC phones using SUPL?

Thomas

carter.r...@gmail.com

May 8, 2017, 11:23:18 AM5/8/17
to android-platform
Hello Mike,

My company would like to use your A-GPS SUPL server in a low volume (few k) telematics device.

Please would you advise me the best contact within Google with whom I should discuss what we need to do to allow this?

Regards,
Richard Carter

Supriya Patil

May 16, 2017, 10:56:03 AM5/16/17
to android-platform
Hi Richard,

Please contact android-partnerships@google.com for more information.

Thanks!

Gianpiero Pilu

Oct 2, 2018, 1:54:09 AM10/2/18
to android-platform
Hello Supriya,

it is not clear to me is the supl.google,com support SUPL A-GPS in MSA mode.

If yes what should  we do to use it ?

Thank You

Regards
Gianpiero

Il giorno martedì 16 maggio 2017 15:56:03 UTC+1, Supriya Patil ha scritto:
Hi Richard,

Please contact android-pa...@google.com for more information.

Supriya Patil

Oct 11, 2018, 4:15:15 PM10/11/18
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gianpiero,

Google SUPL server doesn't support MSA mode and we don't have any plans to support it.

Thanks!

Nandish H.S

Feb 25, 2019, 10:05:03 AM2/25/19
to android-platform
Hi Team,

i joined this group no w does AGPS server from google is free? ? or do we need to purchase it

Regards
nandish

Supriya Patil

Feb 26, 2019, 1:06:56 PM2/26/19