Using ADT Layout Editor with Android platform source

guyro

Oct 7, 2009, 9:11:04 AM10/7/09
to android-platform
Hi,

I've managed to get Eclipse up and running to work with the platform
source, as described in http://source.android.com/using-eclipse.

One last point I'm stuck on is using Eclipse to edit Android layout
resource XMLs. Building the entire platform only to check if a widget
is in the right place is a great drain of time, and it sounds
reasonable that ADT's layout editor should work.

I built the ADT from the platform source and installed it on the same
Eclipse I'm using. When I open a resource XML from the platform source
with the Android Layout Editor, I get an empty gray screen that says
"No Xml Content. Go to the Outline view and add nodes." Curiously, the
outline view on my right-hand side DOES have a layout tree showing!

It's worth mentioning that the project I'm editing is a Java project
and not an Android project (well, it's the Android sources itself so
does not make sense for Eclipse to treat it like an Android app).

Has anyone succeeded in getting the layout editor up and running in
the platform environment?

Xavier Ducrohet

Oct 12, 2009, 5:42:57 PM10/12/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
The custom editors in ADT rely on information loaded from the SDK to know about the XML model for each type of XML files.

Some of those files only exist in the SDK, and also the only way for ADT to find them is to resolve the project target, which is only possible if the project is an "Android" project (ie SDK project).

We are not planning to enable ADT to work with the android source tree at this time.

Xav
--
Xavier Ducrohet
Android SDK Tech Lead

Hai Ru

May 6, 2016, 10:40:13 AM5/6/16
to android-platform, x...@android.com
So I have the same problem. I'm just wondering is it possible now? I think there must be a way to preview the UI when changing it rather than running a whole build every time.

在 2009年10月13日星期二 UTC+8上午5:42:57,Xavier Ducrohet写道: