Android Nougat Intent.mFlags oveflow?

Михаил Ерошкин

Dec 1, 2016, 10:04:58 AM12/1/16
to android-platform
Hello to all!

Today I have seen, that in Android Nougat were added several flags for use its in Intent.mFlags. I see, that in Android Framework is left three free flags, from 31 (because int).

In Android Marshmallow we had five free flags for starting of Activity. Its were between
FLAG_ACTIVITY_RETAIN_IN_RECENTS = 0x00002000
and
FLAG_GRANT_PREFIX_URI_PERMISSION = 0x00000080
So, we can see that here is free: 1000, 800, 400, 200, 100.

In Android Nougat was added
FLAG_ACTIVITY_LAUNCH_ADJACENT = 0x00001000
FLAG_DEBUG_TRIAGED_MISSING = 0x00000100
So, we can thee that is left 800, 400, 200.

The main question: how are you going to resolve this problem, when these flags will run out?

I would like to know your direction in this matter, because I'm using four flags in Android Marshmallow (I'm using these as @hide flags). So, I understand that Android Nougat I can not use already. But I see that these is common problem for Android Framework.

Thanks in advance!

Glenn Kasten

Dec 1, 2016, 6:51:53 PM12/1/16
to android-platform
I don't know about future plans for flags.

But for your application, can you use the extras bundle?  That seems much safer.