android doze on M

Andy Quan

Feb 23, 2016, 10:55:17 AM2/23/16
to android-platform
Hi,
Did anyone has a study on DOZE in Android M? I just noticed that significant motion sensor is under monitor during doze. Does this mean that if I put my phone in car or train and take this vehicle for whole day long, then it would not get any chance to enter DOZE even if I do nothing?

If this is true, anybody can explain why Google has defined it like this?

--
Thanks,
Andy

Arpit

Feb 24, 2016, 3:37:10 PM2/24/16
to android-platform
Absolutely I faced that issue when driving for long time without Google apps running eg map, my device whent into doze mode and faced issues with music app running that time.

Ralf G. R. Bergs

Feb 24, 2016, 3:37:10 PM2/24/16
to android-platform
On Tuesday, February 23, 2016 at 4:55:17 PM UTC+1, Andy Quan wrote:
Did anyone has a study on DOZE in Android M? I just noticed that significant motion sensor is under monitor during doze. Does this mean that if I put my phone in car or train and take this vehicle for whole day long, then it would not get any chance to enter DOZE even if I do nothing?
I think your understanding is correct. The rationale behind this seems to be that if you put away your phone on a desk or night stand you are not actively using it, and thus it can enter doze mode. If you are walking around with it it would thus never enter doze mode.

mk

Feb 26, 2016, 8:14:58 PM2/26/16
to android-platform
Hey, So you music app just stops playing if device goes in doze mode? Unless say you whitelist it? Thanks

Andy Quan

Feb 27, 2016, 12:44:21 AM2/27/16
to android-platform
I think music app would not stop as that's not DOZE's focus. DOZE pays more attention to data communication.

On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 1:27 PM, mk <mugdha...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey, So you music app just stops playing if device goes in doze mode? Unless say you whitelist it? Thanks

Thanks,
Andy

Andy Quan

Feb 27, 2016, 12:44:21 AM2/27/16
to android-platform
To some extent, this is true. But the problem is that it is not effective to use location or movement to judge whether people need data usage. Most of times, when I want to use my phone from standby, I would do screen on and this would wake DOZE. So I think if the default DOZE code makes more aggressive attempts to enter idle mode, there is not obvious penalty from it. At least it should cover the cases of long time driving or train trip.

Thanks,
Andy

Ralf G. R. Bergs

Feb 29, 2016, 10:04:06 AM2/29/16
to android-platform
On Wednesday, February 24, 2016 at 9:37:10 PM UTC+1, Arpit wrote:
Absolutely I faced that issue when driving for long time without Google apps running eg map, my device whent into doze mode and faced issues with music app running that time.
I don't get your point. If you're driving your phone cannot doze.

Please see this article which explains exactly how it works.

Quotes:
If a user leaves a device unplugged and stationary for a period of time
and
As soon as the user wakes the device by moving it, turning on the screen, or connecting a charger, the system exits Doze
Hope this helps.

Ralf G. R. Bergs

Feb 29, 2016, 10:04:06 AM2/29/16
to android-platform
On Saturday, February 27, 2016 at 6:44:21 AM UTC+1, Andy Quan wrote:
I think music app would not stop as that's not DOZE's focus. DOZE pays more attention to data communication.
Not just data comms.

See this article.

Quote:
In Doze mode, the system attempts to conserve battery by restricting apps' access to network and CPU-intensive services.
Kind regards,

Ralf

mk

Feb 29, 2016, 10:04:07 AM2/29/16
to android-platform
Music apps like which require data connection? I tried Nexus 9 with Spotify and it seemed to stop playing.

In this post https://plus.google.com/+AndroidDevelopers/posts/94jCkmG4jff it's mentioned that doze mode does not affect foreground services. (In the comments) I haven't been able to find any documentation on it. Any idea about this?

Ralf G. R. Bergs

Mar 1, 2016, 12:10:16 PM3/1/16
to android-platform
On Monday, February 29, 2016 at 4:04:07 PM UTC+1, mk wrote:
Music apps like which require data connection? I tried Nexus 9 with Spotify and it seemed to stop playing.

In this post https://plus.google.com/+AndroidDevelopers/posts/94jCkmG4jff it's mentioned that doze mode does not affect foreground services. (In the comments) I haven't been able to find any documentation on it. Any idea about this?
I don't think that "doze mode" distinguishes between foreground and background apps/services. "Doze mode" is a low-power state that applies to the whole OS/device.

Let me again point you to this article. It seems that an app like a music player should request to be on the whitelist. Only then it would not negatively affected by "Doze mode."

In this article you can also learn how to manually force your device into doze mode. This way you could test whether this stops the music from playing or not.

Andy Quan

Mar 4, 2016, 8:18:08 AM3/4/16
to android-platform
Doze does differentiate foreground service app. You may both find this in Android code and in the Google engineers' comment in https://plus.google.com/+AndroidDevelopers/posts/94jCkmG4jff

Thanks,
Andy

ralf....@gmail.com

Mar 9, 2016, 4:57:16 PM3/9/16
to android-...@googlegroups.com

On 04 Mar 2016, at 13:32, Andy Quan <andro...@gmail.com> wrote:

Doze does differentiate foreground service app. You may both find this in Android code and in the Google engineers' comment in https://plus.google.com/+AndroidDevelopers/posts/94jCkmG4jff

You did not read properly the article you quoted. It is "App standby" which is about apps that are no longer in the foreground. "Doze" is explicitly about the whole device, the article is pretty clear about that.

--
Sent from a mobile device, please excuse my brevity.