Radio Data System (RDS) support

jawosis

Mar 17, 2011, 12:26:39 PM3/17/11
to android-platform
Hi,

how can I integrate RDS into applications? I would like to fetch RDS
info and process it in my android applciation.

Thanks for your help!

Jochen Kempf

Tez

Mar 18, 2011, 3:05:15 AM3/18/11
to android-platform
First off, what phone do you have?

RDS needs FM-Radio which is not supported in the current platform.
The community build - cyanogenmod has FM receiver support, but, from
the code, I see that they have not integrated support for reading of
RDS data.
this is the relevant file -> android_hardware_fm_bcm4325.cpp
I have posted a question about this on the CM N1 forum, no answer yet.

There is an API proposal from ST-Ericsson, but they don't have the
kernel level code for the BCM4329 since this data is only disclosed by
signing an NDA. Their API is only proposed for the framework level.

cheers,
Earlence

Pavan Savoy

Mar 18, 2011, 3:14:24 AM3/18/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com, Tez
On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 12:35 PM, Tez <earlen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> First off, what phone do you have?
>
> RDS needs FM-Radio which is not supported in the current platform.
> The community build - cyanogenmod has FM receiver support, but, from
> the code, I see that they have not integrated support for reading of
> RDS data.
> this is the relevant file -> android_hardware_fm_bcm4325.cpp
> I have posted a question about this on the CM N1 forum, no answer yet.
>
> There is an API proposal from ST-Ericsson, but they don't have the
> kernel level code for the BCM4329 since this data is only disclosed by
> signing an NDA. Their API is only proposed for the framework level.

Texas Instrument's WiLink connectivity chipset's FM Radio module has
the V4L2 driver available upstream under the name "wl128x".
FM Radio Rx RDS and Tx RDS is supported there.

Feel free to look it up ...

> cheers,
> Earlence
>
> On Mar 17, 5:26 pm, jawosis <jochenke...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> how can I integrate RDS into applications? I would like to fetch RDS
>> info and process it in my android applciation.
>>
>> Thanks for your help!
>>
>> Jochen Kempf
>

> --

--Pavan Savoy

jawosis

Mar 18, 2011, 11:46:40 AM3/18/11
to android-platform
I have a LG p500 optimus phone.

It seems that FM-radio support and especially RDS is not covered by
android platform yet.

I havn't done any android development so far, thus I guess this will
be pretty hard for me to include a new funcionality.

Any chances experienced android developers will include FM and RDS
support in future releases?

christia...@stericsson.com

Mar 21, 2011, 4:57:33 AM3/21/11
to android-platform
Hi all,

Regarding FM Radio support in Android we are currently working on
contributing this, see below for more details.

The following patches are related/dependant and include our FM Radio
Framework contribution to Android Open Source Project (AOSP):
https://review.source.android.com/#change,20506
https://review.source.android.com/#change,20507
https://review.source.android.com/#change,20508
https://review.source.android.com/#change,20509

FM radio sample applications (TX/RX), using the above Android
Application Framework API's, contribution to AOSP can be found here:
https://review.source.android.com//#change,21829

For more information and additional documentation please see the link
below:
Google groups post with documentation
http://groups.google.com/group/android-platform/msg/9e41f9f0cb8c785d

In the overview architecture diagram in the documentation above you
will see that our solution relies on HW vendor "plugging-in" an FM
radio handler module.
This FM radio handler module can be implemented using V4L, this is in
fact what we do to support our own FM radio HW.
(we are planning to submit our FM radio V4L handler to V4L/Linux
kernel community within short)

Please feel free to review our patches and try them out, we are very
eager to get your feedback.

Best regards,
Christian Bejram, ST-Ericsson