WiFi Direct Adhoc Mode

tahir abbas

Oct 29, 2016, 6:28:13 PM10/29/16
to android-platform, ishe...@google.com
Hello Everyone,
               Hope you are good and enjoying. I have few question regarding WiFi Direct. I am working on WebRTC (Real time video broadcast on android and PC also) for video broadcast in android. Is it possible that i can connect 4 android phones in series(Picture attached) and then video transmitted by android 1 can be viewed on android 4. My android application is doing the same but with external server and requires Internet. but  i don't want to use any external server or internet. Thank you.
image.png

Paul Gardner-Stephen

Oct 30, 2016, 9:50:26 AM10/30/16
to android-platform, ishe...@google.com
Hello,

This is the kind of use case that would have been enabled by Android Issue #82, which was opened in 2008, and received tens of thousands of up-votes before the Android team locked it to prevent further up-votes, as it was already the 3rd most voted outstanding issue at the time, and they apparently have no intention of ever supporting it, despite the humanitarian use-cases that have been presented. Indeed, Android has instead removed all vestiges of support for ad-hoc W-Fi.  Wi-Fi Direct is not a substitute for multi-hop wireless communications.  You can, using certain model handsets and a CyanogenMod ROM obtain true ad-hoc Wi-Fi support, although there can be complications in doing so.

Paul.