AML/ELS Functionality

koer...@umich.edu

Oct 15, 2017, 8:52:13 PM10/15/17
to android-platform
Google has announced, in June-July 2016, that they've implemented their own version of Advanced Mobile Location which they're calling ELS and that it is backwards-compatible to the Gingerbread OS. It is certainly a part of the Nougat OS, but I don't know what changes were specifically made and when. Knowing these changes would help me solve this technical problem (basically when you dial an emergency number, the phone automatically calculates its location and sends that to an endpoint via data sms or https post (or both?)).

I am interested in trying to understand how ELS messages work on Android phones, as I am working with the 911 call center (PSAP) at my university to help them receive this added location information, which is usually more accurate than the information they get already. The AML is a public open source specification, and I imagine that ELS just sends a message more or less according to the AML protocol, so I imagine it would be possible to find out how the OS is sending out this ELS data. How can I figure out how to access this functionality of Android phones? I've tried contacting google directly but haven't had much success so far.