What is UniverseBackground - mUniverseBackground?

Adithya Gajulapally

Apr 7, 2014, 12:04:20 PM4/7/14
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I am trying to understand the purpose of mUniverseBackground that appears in WindowManagerService, InputMonitor, WindowAnimator, WindowStateAnimator, etc.
Its not wallpaper since there is a separate variable for it. I saw that there are some universe transformations. What is the purpose and significance of this?

shridutt kothari

Apr 9, 2014, 6:46:36 AM4/9/14
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Adithya,

I guess following link may provide you the direction for why it is Universe thing is created:

https://android.googlesource.com/platform/frameworks/base/+/a4b7f2f75e7803193429ec1179fb5e2eb1c6fbda

AFAIK, there is only one line commit comment from Dianne Hackborn which says "Use two fingers to work some magic...

so i guess you need to see the diff in this commit and need to understand why this thing is implemented or Dianne or someone from Google team can help us with this.

Thanks,
Shridutt Kothari
Impetus Infotech India Ltd

Adithya Gajulapally

Apr 14, 2014, 4:32:33 PM4/14/14
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Shridutt. That is more information than I had but less than I want. I was hoping there would be some more information that would help me avoid going through the code to figure it out. I hope they add it to developer.android.com