2.1 snapshot in Eclair branch

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Jan 21, 2010, 7:12:08 PM1/21/10
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Yesterday I finished a source code push for the current version of
Android 2.1, in the eclair branch. This matches the version of the
Android platform that is shipping in Nexus One. Currently this is a
bulk push of just the code; we are working on publishing the history
as a future step.

Since it's a snapshot, it's not currently tagged. I'll tag the code
for 2.1 (and also 2.0 and 2.0.1) when we push the history metadata.

A few highlights:

-The usual minor features and bugfixes
-Some new applications added in 2.0 and 2.1 that weren't present in Donut (1.6)
-Support for new 2.1 features like Live Wallpaper
-Updated Launcher and Gallery apps

JBQ

--
Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru

warning.

Armando Ceniceros

Jan 21, 2010, 7:21:32 PM1/21/10
to android-...@googlegroups.com

Thanks, I'm all done with a 2.1 build for ADP 1 that's fixed the infinite sync problem with google apps, also,there's a patch in calendarprovider that's not yet in eclair (allows use of calendar when subscribed feeds is not available), sensors for dream (again, from master), patched libcamera so that camera (at least) now works on eclair, plus graphical fixes (art in settings and music widgets in mdpi, plus missing tab art in the new music app in mdpi) and the build, only missing h264 encoding/decoding, is pretty much what an adp1 2.0 build should be. Hope HTC follows suit soon.

Armando Ceniceros

Jan 21, 2010, 7:33:49 PM1/21/10
to android-...@googlegroups.com

Since I predict more than one persons will see this, I'll have to hijack this topic for a question you guys might know the answer to. In launcher's /res/xml/default_workspace.xml, the default positions for clock and search widgets are defined by calling <clock xpos ypos screenno> and <search xpos ypos screenno>, but I want to set default positions for other widgets to be loaded by default, but I think the same rationale would't apply and clock/search are isolated cases. Is there a way to add appwidgets by default to a homescreen?

On Jan 21, 2010 5:21 PM, "Armando Ceniceros" <cenic...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks, I'm all done with a 2.1 build for ADP 1 that's fixed the infinite sync problem with google apps, also,there's a patch in calendarprovider that's not yet in eclair (allows use of calendar when subscribed feeds is not available), sensors for dream (again, from master), patched libcamera so that camera (at least) now works on eclair, plus graphical fixes (art in settings and music widgets in mdpi, plus missing tab art in the new music app in mdpi) and the build, only missing h264 encoding/decoding, is pretty much what an adp1 2.0 build should be. Hope HTC follows suit soon.

> > On Jan 21, 2010 5:13 PM, "Jean-Baptiste Queru" <j...@android.com> wrote: > > Yesterday I finishe...

Romain Guy

Jan 21, 2010, 7:42:23 PM1/21/10
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Yes there is, but I don't remember the syntax :)

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 4:33 PM, Armando Ceniceros

<cenic...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Since I predict more than one persons will see this, I'll have to hijack
> this topic for a question you guys might know the answer to. In launcher's
> /res/xml/default_workspace.xml, the default positions for clock and search
> widgets are defined by calling <clock xpos ypos screenno> and <search xpos
> ypos screenno>, but I want to set default positions for other widgets to be
> loaded by default, but I think the same rationale would't apply and
> clock/search are isolated cases. Is there a way to add appwidgets by default
> to a homescreen?
>
> On Jan 21, 2010 5:21 PM, "Armando Ceniceros" <cenic...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks, I'm all done with a 2.1 build for ADP 1 that's fixed the infinite
> sync problem with google apps, also,there's a patch in calendarprovider
> that's not yet in eclair (allows use of calendar when subscribed feeds is
> not available), sensors for dream (again, from master), patched libcamera so
> that camera (at least) now works on eclair, plus graphical fixes (art in
> settings and music widgets in mdpi, plus missing tab art in the new music
> app in mdpi) and the build, only missing h264 encoding/decoding, is pretty
> much what an adp1 2.0 build should be. Hope HTC follows suit soon.

> --

Romain Guy
Android framework engineer
roma...@android.com

to provide private support. All such questions should be posted on

Pablo

Jan 21, 2010, 7:48:48 PM1/21/10
to android-platform
Big Thank You for you and all the android team! I especially enjoy
reading the posts related to AOSP getting new fresh code :-) for
obvious reasons
I'm also happy to see the new apps and the source for the wallpapers
has been published too.

Keep it up!

Wind

Jan 22, 2010, 1:18:33 AM1/22/10
to android-platform
No new news on libwebcore error 127?i know about cherry-pick by is it
a temp solution or bugfix?

Chih-Wei

Jan 22, 2010, 2:33:31 AM1/22/10
to android-platform
Thanks for the effort.
But could you explain why it is in Eclair branch
instead of master?

So now Eclair is newer than master?

Matthieu Jeanson

Jan 22, 2010, 4:23:38 AM1/22/10
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Salut JB,

First, I want to join everybody else on this thread to thank you and all the team behind this.

Probably this has been asked before... Even if this is only a snapshot push, why not tagging it ? As long as it reflects what 2.1 is (for this one) and when using the tag we consistently get the same code, it should not matter much whether the history is there or not.

Thanks,
Matthieu

Wind

Jan 22, 2010, 4:51:26 AM1/22/10
to android-platform
I want to ask a question about android.process.acore force close when
opening "accounts" in contacts.I'm building "-b eclair" or "master"
for my adp1.is there any solution?or its all about sync providers that
are not in the branch yet?

Armando Ceniceros

Jan 22, 2010, 11:01:57 AM1/22/10
to android-...@googlegroups.com

This is related to fixes not applied yet to eclair that are already on master. Master is the working, stable aosp branch and eclair, again, is a work in progress. It's current state worked for shipping devices with 2.1, but it needs to be fixed to make up for the parts missing once it moved to aosp. Once it's stable, it'll be merged into master. This is me just stating the trend I've seen with previous branches. Unfortunately, I don't work for google ;).

On Jan 22, 2010 12:33 AM, "Chih-Wei" <cwh...@android-x86.org> wrote:

Thanks for the effort.
But could you explain why it is in Eclair branch
instead of master?

So now Eclair is newer than master?

On 1月22日, 上午8時12分, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote: > Yesterday I finished a source co...

-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "android-platform" gro...

Armando Ceniceros

Jan 22, 2010, 11:06:00 AM1/22/10
to android-...@googlegroups.com

When you build, add "AccountsAndSyncSetting" to your build. It replaces google's subscribed feeds provider. This should allow you to import your exchange contacts.

Wind

Jan 22, 2010, 11:14:06 AM1/22/10
to android-platform
Thanks for responding but isnt it strange in your opinion that on sdk
image and all target devices it is already working ?

On 22 янв, 19:06, Armando Ceniceros <cenicero...@gmail.com> wrote:
> When you build, add "AccountsAndSyncSetting" to your build. It replaces
> google's subscribed feeds provider. This should allow you to import your
> exchange contacts.

3pei

Jan 22, 2010, 12:55:49 PM1/22/10
to android-platform
do you make the Launcher2 running properly?

and I have problems with camcorder and video playback.

the video playback is worse than the master tree: it can play sound
but the video frame is freezing.

On Jan 22, 12:33 am, Armando Ceniceros <cenicero...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Since I predict more than one persons will see this, I'll have to hijack
> this topic for a question you guys might know the answer to. In launcher's
> /res/xml/default_workspace.xml, the default positions for clock and search
> widgets are defined by calling <clock xpos ypos screenno> and <search xpos
> ypos screenno>, but I want to set default positions for other widgets to be
> loaded by default, but I think the same rationale would't apply and
> clock/search are isolated cases. Is there a way to add appwidgets by default
> to a homescreen?

Armando Ceniceros

Jan 22, 2010, 1:51:46 PM1/22/10
to android-...@googlegroups.com

What I did for video playback modify the manifest.xml in .repo to get opencore from master instead of eclair.
Launcher2 won't work w/o hw accelerators from qualcomm

On Jan 22, 12:33 am, Armando Ceniceros <cenicero...@gmail.com> wrote: > Since I predict more than o...

> On Jan 21, 2010 5:21 PM, "Armando Ceniceros" <cenicero...@gmail.com> wrote: > > Thanks, I'm all do...

> > > On Jan 21, 2010 5:13 PM, "Jean-Baptiste Queru" <j...@android.com> wrote: > > > Yesterday I fin...

Armando Ceniceros

Jan 22, 2010, 2:55:48 PM1/22/10
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I should have checked before replying (I had expected video worked just fine just because the thumbnails loaded -_-). Opencore is the same in eclair and master, so even after the change I made, it still pulled the same version and playback is still broken.
Anybody else know how to fix it? That's about all I'm missing (that, and the syntax for loading widgets by default).

3pei

Jan 22, 2010, 3:01:09 PM1/22/10
to android-platform
we can use the old lib included in old img (edit egl.cfg in lib/egl to
load it), i think that is what some Rom mod player do.

i used what they configured, and it was running with some problem (but
no lag).

but I think they can be fixed with proper modification to Launcher2.

btw, why isn't there a all-latest-patches release..., i cannot manage
the info of which patches are lacked in a branch always with my little
brain...

3pei

Jan 22, 2010, 3:05:03 PM1/22/10
to android-platform
no, you are right before. with the master build, I can play video with
copybits fails. a merge should be work, but how? which?

I am bored by finding these by ourselves.

On Jan 22, 7:55 pm, Armando Ceniceros <cenicero...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I should have checked before replying (I had expected video worked just fine
> just because the thumbnails loaded -_-). Opencore is the same in eclair and
> master, so even after the change I made, it still pulled the same version
> and playback is still broken.
> Anybody else know how to fix it? That's about all I'm missing (that, and the
> syntax for loading widgets by default).
>
> On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 11:51 AM, Armando Ceniceros

Armando Ceniceros

Jan 22, 2010, 4:10:35 PM1/22/10
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I'm trying also pulling MediaProvider from master, don't know how that'll help. Also, maybe there's something in vendor/htc/dream-open in master that makes media player work, so I'll try that too.
But I do wonder, several of these fixes are known, so, do we really have to submit them for review again into eclair even though they've been already been checked and applied in master?
It's kind of a bother having to git cherry-pick just to get eclair to clear the libwebcore.a build error every time we repo sync.

3pei

Jan 22, 2010, 5:10:19 PM1/22/10
to android-platform

where is the sensors patch in the master? i didn't find it.. I have a
sapp as development device, the sensor cannot work with eclair branch
too.

could you give a list about the fixes you know in the master? though I
think someone from google should do this, or just write a script.

many thx ^^

> > android-platfo...@googlegroups.com<android-platform%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

summer xia

Jan 22, 2010, 10:19:05 PM1/22/10
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Hello All

I have built with this snapshot for ADP1 successfully. But the music
application can not work at all. I use Merdian to play music, it works
fine, video can not display at all. I don't know how to fix it. With
pervious version, it works fine. Thanks for your any hints.

Regards

summer

Armando Ceniceros

Jan 22, 2010, 10:24:32 PM1/22/10
to android-...@googlegroups.com

It's missing mdpi art for the music tabs, you can either copy it from hdpi (it won't resize correctly), make your own, or copy from the tab art in /frameworks/core/res/res/drawable-mdpi

On Jan 22, 2010 8:19 PM, "summer xia" <xiag...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello All

I have built with this snapshot for ADP1 successfully. But the music
application can not work at all. I use Merdian to play music, it works
fine, video can not display at all. I don't know how to fix it. With
pervious version, it works fine. Thanks for your any hints.

Regards

summer

On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 6:10 AM, 3pei <333...@gmail.com> wrote: > > where is the sensors patch in th...

Armando Ceniceros

Jan 23, 2010, 7:18:11 PM1/23/10
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I just noticed that opencore in master is indeed newer than on eclair, even than on the just-released snapshot. I downloaded it along with the master MediaProvider, but I'm encountering the following error at build time, maybe somebody with knowledge on the opencore framework can shed light on what's going wrong here, what I could be missing other than opencore from master (on top of eclair):

target SharedLib: libopencore_player (out/target/product/dream-open/obj/SHARED_LIBRARIES/libopencore_player_intermediates/LINKED/libopencore_player.so)
out/target/product/dream-open/obj/STATIC_LIBRARIES/libandroidpv_intermediates/libandroidpv.a(playerdriver.o):(.data.rel.ro+0xe8): undefined reference to `android::PVPlayer::invoke(android::Parcel const&, android::Parcel*)'
out/target/product/dream-open/obj/STATIC_LIBRARIES/libandroidpv_intermediates/libandroidpv.a(playerdriver.o):(.data.rel.ro+0xec): undefined reference to `android::PVPlayer::getMetadata(android::SortedVector<int> const&, android::Parcel*)'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [out/target/product/dream-open/obj/SHARED_LIBRARIES/libopencore_player_intermediates/LINKED/libopencore_player.so] Error 1

Armando Ceniceros

Jan 23, 2010, 7:18:53 PM1/23/10
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Here's a list of the fixes I've applied (in case you want to implement them all):

-Camera:
There's a community-developed hack to get basic camera functionality. It's rough at the moment, but it's the best we have. The project page is at http://gitorious.org/eclair-camera-drivers. Their manifest (git://gitorious.org/eclair-camera-drivers/manifest.git -b eclair) all links to AOSP except for msm7k which adds the camera shim and platform/vendor/htc/dream-open and platform/vendor/htc/sapphire-
open to remove the use of the camera stub since the eclair release. Otherwise, you could add the remote to your .repo/manifests/default.xml and download only those projects (which, again, that manifest already does).

-Sensors:
The sensors fix is in master at /hardware/htc and at /vendor/htc/dream-open and /vendor/htc/sapphire-open. The three files you patched are correct, as they'll enable the sensors, but you still don't have the sensor code introduced in master at /hardware/htc, so edit your .repo/manifests/default.xml (or add a local-manifest, whatever) and add <project path="hardware/htc/dream" name="platform/hardware/htc/dream" revision="master" /> and sync again so that the drivers source is downloaded.

-libwebcore issue
In it's current state in eclair, libwebcore will fail while building, so  you have to patch it before building, just git cherry-pick 18342a41ab72e2c21931afaaab6f1b9bdbedb9fa at /external/webkit and you should be set.

-Music
There's missing art in /res/drawable-mdpi-finger in /packages/apps/Music that will prevent the application from starting when opened, the offending files are buttonbar_active.9.png, buttonbar_focused.9.png, buttonbar_inactive.9.png, and buttonbar_pressed.9.png. You could copy them from their /hdpi rendition, but they won't scale correctly and the difference will be apparent, what I did instead was copy tab_selected.9.png, tab_focus.9.png, tab_unselected.9.png, and tab_press.9.png from /frameworks/base/core/res/res/drawable-mdpi, rename them to buttonbar_active.9.png, buttonbar_focused.9.png, buttonbar_inactive.9.png, and buttonbar_pressed.9.png respectively, and add them to /res/drawable-mdpi-finger to get music working.

with all that, you should have a build pretty similar to what you'd get from the master branch (plus the camera)

David, Jr Roth

Jan 23, 2010, 9:27:36 PM1/23/10
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Awesome post! Good job Armando!!

Armando Ceniceros

Jan 23, 2010, 10:23:24 PM1/23/10
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I forgot a few more issues:

-Calendar:
The calendar, as it is in eclair, will force-close upon entering due
to an error in the calendar provider. To fix it, change your
.repo/manifests/default.xml to point to the master branch for
/packages/providers/CalendarPrivider (revision="master").

-Bluetooth
in /vendor/htc/dream-open, edit init.trout.rc. At line 59, change
"texas" to "texasalt"

-Music widget and settings widget.
The art for music widget and settings widget is malformed in mdpi,
it's not apparent in music widget, but in settings widget it appears
at the green indicator for brightness which is not aligned to the
other indicators. That's due to a set of malformed mdpi .9 pngs. This
one you have to manually edit, as you can't copy it from HDPI or from
any other location.
In /res/drawable-mdpi-finger (for both music and settings packages),
edit appwidget_inner_focus_r.9.png and appwidget_inner_press_r.9.png.
You have to invert the black line of pixels to the left and right of
the png. The shorter line should be on the left, and the longer line
should be on the right.

I think that should be all. I have other things I added, but those
were for build customization (enabling live wallpapers, added
home-screens, etc).
If I remember more fixes I'll post them here and hopefully somebody
will submit them for review to AOSP eclair.

>> android-platfo...@googlegroups.com<android-platform%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

Lance

Jan 23, 2010, 8:35:23 PM1/23/10
to android-platform
Hello guys,

Yesterday I built the Android 2.1 but I met this error.
Anybody knows about this?

collected 3102 test methods in 225 junit test classes
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.RuntimeException: failed to parse
at util.build.BuildDalvikSuite.parseTestMethod(BuildDalvikSuite.java:
734)
at util.build.BuildDalvikSuite.handleTests(BuildDalvikSuite.java:359)
at util.build.BuildDalvikSuite.compose(BuildDalvikSuite.java:170)
at util.build.BuildDalvikSuite.main(BuildDalvikSuite.java:136)
Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: cts/tools/vm-tests/src/dot/
junit/opcodes/sput/Test_sput.java (Too many open files)
at java.io.FileReader.<init>(FileReader.java:55)
at util.build.BuildDalvikSuite.parseTestMethod(BuildDalvikSuite.java:
710)
... 3 more
make: *** [out/host/linux-x86/obj/EXECUTABLES/vm-tests_intermediates/
tests] Error 1

Josh Guilfoyle

Jan 25, 2010, 2:55:37 AM1/25/10
to android-platform
Are there plans to add passion aosp targets alongside the dream and
sapphire? Similarly, can we also expect an ota zip distribution of
the system image that can be plugged into the build system? Will
there be a developer site launching similar to that of the ADP1/2
products soon?

Also, when the initial eclair source tree was dropped we saw a JIT
engine appear. There was some discussion from the Dalvik team that
significant progress had been made after that source drop, but looking
at a diff of the 2.1 tree it seems that code was not open sourced.
Will this work-in-progress code be made available to the open source
community for support and testing?

Cristina

Feb 10, 2010, 2:23:15 PM2/10/10
to android-platform
Hi Lance,

Today I have updated eclair branch and I got the same error when I
executed 'make clean' and after that 'make'.
Did you found a solution to that problem?

Can anybody help us with this error?

Thanks in advance
Cristina