Is Android 64 bit OS ?

Deepak

Jul 6, 2011, 12:46:02 AM7/6/11
to android-platform
Hi All

Does Android support 64 bit processors ? If no, is there a plan to
make it 64 bit?

Appreciate your reply.

Thanks,
Deepak

lijx

Jul 6, 2011, 12:56:08 AM7/6/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I think android 2.3 support 64 bit processors.

kathik keyanvb

Jul 6, 2011, 5:38:33 AM7/6/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Yes,Android supports 64-bit processor and I have installed and am working on it too...

Rahul

Jul 6, 2011, 11:43:32 AM7/6/11
to android-platform
Yes ..Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) is targeted for 64 bit processor

David Turner

Jul 6, 2011, 9:43:47 PM7/6/11
On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 6:46 AM, Deepak <dip...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi All

Does Android support 64 bit processors ?

No, there is no official Android support for 64-bit processors.

If no, is there a plan to make it 64 bit?

There is no such plan currently.

Appreciate your reply.

Thanks,
Deepak

Bruce J Beare

Oct 4, 2012, 10:53:40 AM10/4/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I've run Android (32 bit user space) with a 64bit kernel. The main difficulty that you will run into is the binder.
The binder likes to think that the kernel and user space are both running in 32bit. I have mods for the binder
to add a (somewhat hacked together) compat32 mode.

I've not upstreamed the changes because there appears to be occasional issues with the change... it works quite
well for small scale development and testing, but causes an occasional issue.

WRT a 64bit user mode... I am not aware of any work in that area.

-Bruce

Bernhard Rosenkränzer

Oct 4, 2012, 5:21:44 PM10/4/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On 4 October 2012 07:53, Bruce J Beare <bruce....@intel.com> wrote:
> I've run Android (32 bit user space) with a 64bit kernel. The main
> difficulty that you will run into is the binder.
> The binder likes to think that the kernel and user space are both running in
> 32bit. I have mods for the binder
> to add a (somewhat hacked together) compat32 mode.
>
> I've not upstreamed the changes because there appears to be occasional
> issues with the change...

Are they available somewhere? Could be rather interesting...

ttyl
bero

Zach Pfeffer

Oct 4, 2012, 9:40:33 PM10/4/12
On 4 October 2012 09:53, Bruce J Beare <bruce....@intel.com> wrote:
> I've run Android (32 bit user space) with a 64bit kernel. The main
> difficulty that you will run into is the binder.
> The binder likes to think that the kernel and user space are both running in
> 32bit. I have mods for the binder
> to add a (somewhat hacked together) compat32 mode.

Bruce, have you pushed your patches anywhere public?

--
Zach Pfeffer
Android Platform Team Lead, Linaro Platform Teams

Bruce J Beare

Oct 8, 2012, 12:51:28 PM10/8/12

On Thursday, October 4, 2012 6:40:46 PM UTC-7, Zach Pfeffer wrote:
On 4 October 2012 09:53, Bruce J Beare <bruce....@intel.com> wrote:
> I've run Android (32 bit user space) with a 64bit kernel. The main
> difficulty that you will run into is the binder.
> The binder likes to think that the kernel and user space are both running in
> 32bit. I have mods for the binder
> to add a (somewhat hacked together) compat32 mode.

Bruce, have you pushed your patches anywhere public?

Since the patches haven't gone out on a product yet, we haven't released them as GPL
open source. I'm willing to do so... but want to work out some internal support issues
first. I'll post back on this thread (hopefully in a few days) with an update.