Android Backup Service - where is the data?

Philip Rhoades

Jun 22, 2012, 2:50:21 PM6/22/12
to Android Platform
People,

I understand the general idea and advantages of storing a local Android
device's app data on a Google "Cloud" server but it does not appear that
the data is viewable/ browsable anywhere in the user's Google Drive
directory? I found a technical document:

https://developers.google.com/android/backup/

that explains how to make use of the backup service but I can't find
anything that allows an ordinary user to browse their data, which I
thought would have been useful, even if it was read-only.

Can anyone add any insight into the situation?

Thanks,

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades

GPO Box 3411
Sydney NSW 2001
Australia
E-mail: ph...@pricom.com.au

Dianne Hackborn

Jun 23, 2012, 3:10:44 AM6/23/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
This was implemented before Google Drive.  The data is not currently stored with Google Drive data...  which does have the advantage that it doesn't count against your Google Drive quote (the data your devices use for backup are free for you).

Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer
hac...@android.com

Note: please don't send private questions to me, as I don't have time to provide private support, and so won't reply to such e-mails.  All such questions should be posted on public forums, where I and others can see and answer them.

Philip Rhoades

Jun 23, 2012, 3:25:37 AM6/23/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Dianne,

Many thanks for the response!

Is the stored data viewable at all? Would it possible to code an
Android app that could view the data?

Regards,

Phil.

On 2012-06-23 17:10, Dianne Hackborn wrote:
> This was implemented before Google Drive.  The data is not currently
> stored with Google Drive data...  which does have the advantage that
> it doesnt count against your Google Drive quote (the data your
> devices
> use for backup are free for you).
>
> On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 11:50 AM, Philip Rhoades <ph...@pricom.com.au>
> wrote:
>
>> People,
>>
>> I understand the general idea and advantages of storing a local
>> Android devices app data on a Google "Cloud" server but it does not
>> appear that the data is viewable/ browsable anywhere in the users
>> Google Drive directory?  I found a technical document:
>>
>>  https://developers.google.com/android/backup/ [2]
>>
>> that explains how to make use of the backup service but I cant find
>> anything that allows an ordinary user to browse their data, which I
>> thought would have been useful,  even if it was read-only.
>>
>> Can anyone add any insight into the situation?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Phil.
>> --
>> Philip Rhoades
>>
>> GPO Box 3411
>> Sydney NSW      2001
>> Australia
>> E-mail:  ph...@pricom.com.au
>>
>> --
>
> --
> Dianne Hackborn
> Android framework engineer
> hac...@android.com
>
> Note: please dont send private questions to me, as I dont have time
> to provide private support, and so wont reply to such e-mails.  All
> such questions should be posted on public forums, where I and others
> can see and answer them.
>
> --
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1] https://developers.google.com/android/backup/
> [2] http://groups.google.com/group/android-platform?hl=en

Dianne Hackborn

Philip Rhoades

Jun 24, 2012, 10:03:30 AM6/24/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Dianne,

Yes, I did look at the Dashboard before but couldn't see anything under
the services that looked like storage for my Android device - not under
"Drive and Docs":

Sites
Drive and Docs
Calendar
Email
Chat
Google Groups for Business
RapidTaskMarketplace

Thanks,

Phil.

On 2012-06-24 05:01, Dianne Hackborn wrote:
> Sorry I dont believe it is.  If you go to your dashboard in your

>>> --
>>> Dianne Hackborn
>>> Android framework engineer
>>> hac...@android.com
>>>
>>> Note: please dont send private questions to me, as I dont have time
>>> to provide private support, and so wont reply to such e-mails.  All
>>>
>>> such questions should be posted on public forums, where I and
>>> others
>>> can see and answer them.
>>>
>>>  --
>>>
>>> Links:
>>> ------
>>> [1] https://developers.google.com/android/backup/ [1]
>>> [2] http://groups.google.com/group/android-platform?hl=en [2]
>>
>> --
>> Philip Rhoades
>>
>> GPO Box 3411
>> Sydney NSW      2001
>> Australia
>> E-mail:  ph...@pricom.com.au
>>
>> --
>
> --
> Dianne Hackborn
> Android framework engineer
> hac...@android.com
>
> Note: please dont send private questions to me, as I dont have time
> to provide private support, and so wont reply to such e-mails.  All
> such questions should be posted on public forums, where I and others
> can see and answer them.

Christopher Tate

Philip Rhoades

Jun 24, 2012, 2:05:38 PM6/24/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Christopher,

?? I see no "Android devices" section of the dashboard (see my list
below) and can't find it from the menu on the black bar . .

Thanks,

Phil.

On 2012-06-25 03:24, Christopher Tate wrote:
> Under the "Android devices" section of the dashboard, click on "More
> data stored about this device" for the device+account in question. It
> pops up a summary of which apps have backed up data on that device
> and
> the data sizes.
>
> --
> christopher tate
> android framework engineer
>
> On Jun 24, 2012 7:03 AM, "Philip Rhoades" <ph...@pricom.com.au> wrote:
>
>> Dianne,
>>
>> Yes, I did look at the Dashboard before but couldnt see anything

>>> --
>>> Dianne Hackborn
>>> Android framework engineer
>>> hac...@android.com
>>>
>>> Note: please dont send private questions to me, as I dont have time
>>> to provide private support, and so wont reply to such e-mails.  All
>>> such questions should be posted on public forums, where I and
>>> others
>>> can see and answer them.
>>>
>>>  --
>>>
>>> Links:
>>> ------
>>> [1] https://developers.google.com/android/backup/ [1]
>>> [2] http://groups.google.com/group/android-platform?hl=en [2]
>>
>> --
>> Philip Rhoades
>>
>> GPO Box 3411
>> Sydney NSW      2001
>> Australia
>> E-mail:  ph...@pricom.com.au
>>
>> --

Philip Rhoades

Jun 25, 2012, 1:00:54 PM6/25/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
People,

I worked out what was going on - I have been using THIS dashboard:

https://www.google.com/a/cpanel/pricom.com.au/Dashboard

which I realise now sends me HERE:

https://www.google.com/a/cpanel/pricom.com.au/UserHub

but what people have been suggesting I look at is:

https://www.google.com/dashboard/?pli=1

(after I have logged in on another tab) which, of course, DOES have the
Android info I was looking for - but after all that, it turns out to not
be very interesting or as extensive as I thought it would be . .

Thanks,

Phil.

Aimee Warner

Mar 23, 2015, 1:17:50 PM3/23/15