Why does the NDK still come with GNU Make 3.81?

mic _

Aug 5, 2016, 7:19:32 AM8/5/16
to andro...@googlegroups.com
As in: many other parts of the toolchain are updated with new releases of the NDK, but we still get a 10 year old version of Make. Why? Have there been breaking changes made in later versions of Make that make them unsuitable for use with the NDK?

I'm asking primarily because later versions of Make supposedly handle LOCAL_SHORT_COMMANDS more efficiently, but it seems like a good idea in general to keep the tools up to date. I realize that I could build Make myself and replace the executable that came with the NDK, but I prefer having all the necessary tools coming in as few downloads as possible, especially when having to set up a build environment on multiple hosts - some of which I might not even have direct access to.

/Michael

Glenn Kasten

Aug 9, 2016, 11:33:01 AM8/9/16
to android-ndk
The first mentions a bug in 3.82, but is not specific about which bug: