64 bit android, 32 bit application with 32 bit native library

Rahul Vaish

Mar 20, 2014, 11:21:22 AM3/20/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com

Let's say we have 64 bit hardware with 64 bit linux kernel and 64 bit android.
So Zygote will be running as 64 bit process with its own instance of DVM.

Now assume that there is a third party application which contains a 32 bit native library that is loaded at runtime using system.loadlibrary call.

I think that when we try to run this application, zygote will be able to start the process and DVM will be able to interpret classes.dex file even if the apk was built for 32 bit machine. But failure will happen when the application will try to load 32 bit native library since on the device bionic libc and other libraries will be all 64 bit.

Is this understanding correct?

Glenn Kasten

Apr 7, 2014, 12:49:06 PM4/7/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
My understanding is that there would be a 32-bit zygote also, to handle this case.
 But 64-bit design is still in progress so it may be premature to give a final answer.