Overlaying text, buttons on OpenMAX media player

Paul A. Steckler

Feb 9, 2015, 2:55:26 PM2/9/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I've successfully built the native-media sample app in the NDK, which relies on the OpenMAX media player.

On suitable devices, that media player should be using hardware acceleration from a GPU.

I've been able to modify that sample app to draw some text and a button on top of the playing video, using
the usual Android subclasses of View.

Does overlaying Views like that affect the hardware acceleration used by the player? Is there a way
to verify that the player is using the GPU?

-- Paul

Paul A. Steckler

Feb 13, 2015, 11:05:12 AM2/13/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I've since learned that all Views can be hardware-accelerated.