announcing Patchfield for Android

Message has been deleted

Glenn Kasten

Sep 4, 2013, 10:12:31 AM9/4/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com
My colleague Peter Brinkmann has developed Patchfield, a new open-source audio library for Android. From his announcement: "Inspired by JACK, the JACK Audio Connection Kit, Patchfield provides a simple, callback-driven API for implementing audio modules, a flexible API for managing the signal processing graph, and support for inter-app audio routing."

And the NDK connection? Well, under the hood, Patchfield uses APIs from Android native audio based on OpenSL ES, although you usually won't need to know that.

Although this is a "20%" (side) project for Peter and is not part of the official Android audio roadmap, I'm very excited by his work and hope we can all learn from his and other developers' experiences and feedback. So if you're an Android audio developer, I do hope you'll give it a try and let Peter know your comments and suggestions. It's an open source project, so you can delve inside to see how it works, or make contributions.

Please see these links for details and further discussion:
* Google Open Source Blog: http://google-opensource.blogspot.com/
* Public repository at GitHub: https://github.com/google/patchfield
* Forum at Google Groups: https://groups.google.com/d/forum/patchfield
* DevBytes video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTisevoxm64

Felix Homann

Sep 4, 2013, 10:41:44 AM9/4/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Am Mittwoch, 4. September 2013 16:12:31 UTC+2 schrieb Glenn Kasten:
My colleague Peter Brinkmann has developed Patchfield, a new open-source audio library for Android. From his announcement: "Inspired by JACK, the JACK Audio Connection Kit, Patchfield provides a simple, callback-driven API for implementing audio modules, a flexible API for managing the signal processing graph, and support for inter-app audio routing."

This is great news indeed! Now we have the audio infrastructure so many people needed. The one thing missing is: Low latency. We won't go anywhere with Android audio if this issue persists any longer. And we need devices to publish their latency capabilities so that we can get a "latency filter" on Google Play in order not to get bad reviews from devices not capable of low latency audio.

源順黃

Dec 4, 2013, 9:51:46 AM12/4/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com

Felix Homann於 2013年9月4日星期三UTC+8下午10時41分44秒寫道:

Андрей Скоропадский

Feb 17, 2014, 8:55:54 AM2/17/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
The other thing I'd like to have is clear audio routing system. For example I want to play mp3 file to the internal speaker while headset is connected. And I want to do this right after I stop my OpenSL
 player. In fact I have to call AudioManager.setMode(AudioManager.MODE_IN_CALL); them I have about half second delay (I can't hear audio, but mp3 file is playing), and after delay I hear mp3 file, but not from begin.