Android Studio "building symbols" taking a long time

Shayla Sawchenko

Aug 3, 2017, 3:06:02 PM8/3/17
to android-ndk
Disclaimer: First time poster, please let me know if I need to add anymore information, or post differently

I have been tasked with maintaining a legacy Android NDK project, so the bulk of the original setup/implementation was done by someone no longer with the company. Our project is setup to use an Android.mk file to build our custom library. This has worked relatively smoothly until a few days ago when I upgraded my Android Studio IDE to 2.3.3 (NDK updated to 15.1.411...); now each time I open the project Android Studio launches a background task "Updating Indicies - Building symbols" for roughly 30 mins. This causing my machine CPU usage to spike through the roof, and the project is essentially unusable until it is complete. This was no occurring before I did the upgrade. Assembling and installing via gradle command line DOES WORK, so this must be an Android Studio issue.

I have been searching for a solution for the past few days and have come up empty handed. I have tried:
* Deleting the .idea files and reimporting the project (same thing happens)
* Recloning the repo and setting up the project again (same thing happens)
* Changing the VM options as described here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/39640433/android-studio-2-x-building-symbols-forever (same thing happens)

I was attempting to convert the Android.mk file to a CMakeList.txt file, but ran into so many issues that I gave up on that task for now.
This appears to be a new issue - has anyone else seen this, and does anyone else have any ideas how to go about fixing this (or is it an Android Studio bug)? I am starting to go mad.

Cheers in advance

emymrin

Aug 4, 2017, 9:54:18 AM8/4/17
to android-ndk
Are you using an older MacBook Pro with a 4K monitor by chance? https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issueMobile/IDEA-144261

Marina Cuello

Aug 10, 2017, 4:09:10 PM8/10/17
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I usually "fix" any weird error I get after updating Android Studio by trying with a fresh Android Studio install. Sometimes it's just that you've got a botched update and the IDE is behaving badly.

Marina

龚泽龙

Apr 17, 2018, 4:07:42 PM4/17/18
to android-ndk
I encounter the same issue when using Android Studio 3.1.1.
It takes a long time Updating indices- building symbols.
I had to wait for almost 10 minutes.