app_dummy() call removed when upgrading to r15?

Spencer Fricke

Jul 3, 2017, 11:03:58 PM7/3/17
to android-ndk
So I tried upgrading the NDK r15 and realized that app_dummy(); breaks my builds from before. After searching around I have not found anyone saying that definitely all <= r14 applications attempting to be updated should be cautious that this function call is needed for <= r14 but has to be removed for r15

Thanks

Alex Cohn

Jul 3, 2017, 11:15:11 PM7/3/17
to android-ndk
yes, a better approach has been chosen in r15: see https://github.com/android-ndk/ndk/issues/381

BR,
Alex

Dan Albert

Jul 10, 2017, 11:09:18 PM7/10/17
to android-ndk
It doesn't have to be removed. It's just a hint that you can clean up your code.

As long as you're using ndk-build removing the call to `app_dummy` should Just Work. If you're using a different build system, be sure to add the ldflag (`-u ANativeActivity_onCreate`) as mentioned in that bug so the linker knows not to strip it.

If you're using ndk-build and this still broke you, that's presumably because you're using -Werror (which is a good thing!).