Extremely slow link time on windows

Scott Field

Apr 9, 2014, 11:09:58 AM4/9/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I am currently trying to improve my build times on a nativeactivity project that has a large amount of files to link.

I have had to enable the command "LOCAL_SHORT_COMMANDS;-true" in the android.mk file, otherwise I receive a link error.

I assume that this command significantly increases link time. Right now build times are completely unnacceptable. Fastest time for just a link is 2 min, comparable to 4 sec on a linux machine.

Are there any workarounds to improve link time on windows machines when using local short commands?

Ray Donnelly

Apr 9, 2014, 11:56:59 AM4/9/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Do you know roughly how long your command lines are?

I have built a new experimental NDK which has an improvement for this
issue and will be sending the patches for this to the FSF later
tonight (it only quotes arguments that need them instead of all
arguments, saving 2 characters on most arguments). It may allow you to
not use LOCAL_SHORT_COMMANDS.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kzzdgj8bno7dw1h/android-ndk-r9d-dont-quote-all-args.7z

Scott Field

Apr 9, 2014, 1:07:11 PM4/9/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi, thanks for the reply.

My path is 1093 chars long. I am glad to hear about this experimental NDK. Who is FSF and what are the implications of you sending it to them tonight? :P

Scott Field

Apr 9, 2014, 1:35:21 PM4/9/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately your experimental NDK still caused a error 87, so LOCAL_SHORT_COMMANDS are still needed.

Ray Donnelly

Apr 9, 2014, 1:39:32 PM4/9/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
The limit should be 32,767 odd characters, so that you are having
trouble around 1000 means that your problem must be something else.

The error you are getting is "ERROR_INVALID_PARAMETER".

My guess is that you have some conflicting program in your PATH or
your environment is otherwise not great.

Thanks for testing anyway.

FSF == Free Software Foundation (who run the GNU Project which develops GCC).
Relevance == Another testing data point before I submit the patch
would be helpful.

Scott Field

Apr 9, 2014, 1:44:18 PM4/9/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Ok. Thanks for input. Maybe I will look through my path.