Why does openSL not report if mic is in use by other application ??? (Android 4.4)

Mauritz Jameson

Apr 21, 2014, 2:49:58 PM4/21/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
This is from logcat:

    W/AudioPolicyManagerALSA(  169): startInput() input 152 failed: other input already started..
    E/AudioRecord(10665): start() status -38

    I/myAPP(10665): [myAPP] Opening the microphone went fine...

Here is an interop issue between my application and "Hi-Q MP3 Recorder" (from the Android Store). The recorder is recording mic audio in the background and I start my application to record mic audio.

AudioPolicyManagerALSA tells me that the mic is in use, but the message does not propagate up to openSL via AudioRecord (as it SHOULD, right?). As you can see AudioRecord is ALSO aware of the mic being in use! But openSL doesn't tell me anything!

How do you detect if the mic is in use when you're using the openSL audio API ?

Is this a known bug?

Glenn Kasten

Apr 21, 2014, 3:20:35 PM4/21/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
We're tracking here:

This is not specifically the issue you reported, but it has the same underlying root cause,
yet with a different symptom in the case of OpenSL ES.
Sorry I have no further details I can offer at this time.