app_process32 does not exist - ndk-gdb.py fails on Acer Iconia Tab 8 with Intel Atom

ol...@illusionlabs.se

Sep 23, 2015, 9:56:55 AM9/23/15
to android-ndk
So, I tried to NDK debug on this Iconia Tab 8 we got from Intel to use as dev device for x86 platform.

With the latest r10e (which seems extremely buggy in general...) it is unfortunately impossible without patching the ndk-gdb.py script.
Using ndk-gdb shell script doesn't work because of another bug, where shell commands is not escaped properly (it's reported somewhere in here)

So, I tried using ndk-gdb-py instead, which works better, but still doesn't work.

I found these suspicious lines in the --verbose output:

## COMMAND: adb_cmd pull /system/bin/app_process32 ./obj/local/armeabi-v7a/app_process
remote object '/system/bin/app_process32' does not exist
Pulled app_process32 from device/emulator.

The thing is though, there is no app_process32, only an app_process.
I can see code in ndk-gdb.py that is supposed to handle this, and pull app_process instead, but obviously it does not work.
(that it doesn't work is evident from the misleading printout above that it pulled app_process32, even though it doesn't exist)

Patching so it tries to pull app_process directly, instead of app_process32 makes the script work again.

(I just changed line 781, so it never even tries to download app_process32. This is obviously not a good fix, but I don't have time to fix buggy toolchains properly)

Cheers,
Olof