ndk on android studio

abig...@gmail.com

May 26, 2016, 3:26:14 PM5/26/16
to android-ndk
i was searching about how to set up the ndk on android studio in the android developer website, but there is not updated information there is just a guide on how to that on eclipse.

Please help me with information about the android NDK in android studio

Dan Albert

May 26, 2016, 3:42:15 PM5/26/16
to android-ndk

On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 10:30 AM, <abig...@gmail.com> wrote:
i was searching about how to set up the ndk on android studio in the android developer website, but there is not updated information there is just a guide on how to that on eclipse.

Please help me with information about the android NDK in android studio

Del Merritt

Jun 3, 2016, 3:51:56 PM6/3/16
to android-ndk
On Thursday, May 26, 2016 at 3:42:15 PM UTC-4, Dan Albert wrote:

This link is informative, but my brain works better with either some pictures or a slightly more detailed narrative set of documentation.

Given the following:
  • Android JNI build environment set up back in the Old Days of Eclipse, definitely pre-gradle
  • A large base of legacy C/C++ code that must be built under its own build system (which does allow for use of the NDK cross compiler tools)
  • The need to be able to deliver a .aar library (we want to provide an SDK) along with sample code that integrates simply into a Android app

What would you propose as a migration path? And what is a good overview of both Gradle and how it is incorporated into Android Studio?

We've noticed that the latest NDK's gcc toolchain has some limitations that were not present in NDK r9d. In particular we use gcc -MM to generate a dependency list during our internal build process, and the latest NDK's gcc and g++ appear to have a 4096 character limit on the length of the command line. (All dev work is being done on Linux systems; this isn't a Winblows limitation...)

Not wanting to whine, but sometimes it seems that the newer IDEs try to hide too much of what is going on underneath the covers. This means it can be pretty dark when the lights go out and you need to fix something, so any history and theory of operation documentation is helpful!

Thanks!

-∇

Dan Albert

Jun 3, 2016, 4:43:21 PM6/3/16
to android-ndk, Kathryn Shih
I don't actually work with Studio at all, so I can't help you with that. I've added +kshih, who should be able to help.

As for the GCC differences, I couldn't reproduce the error (tested r11c and r12 on Linux). Keep in mind that GCC is deprecated. You should switch to Clang :)