GNU Assembler vs LLVM Assembler when using Clang to cross-compile

Matthieu Poullet

Apr 28, 2016, 4:34:50 AM4/28/16
to android-ndk
Hi,

I cross-compile tools using Autotools with toolchains generated by make-standalone-toolchain.sh.
I've switched to clang and now I see two assemblers in the bin/ directory, e.g. arm-linux-androideabi-as and llvm-as:

mx-mpoullet:bin mpoullet$ ./llvm-as --version
LLVM (http://llvm.org/):
  LLVM version 3.8.243773
  Optimized build.
  Default target: x86_64-unknown-linux
  Host CPU: sandybridge
mx-mpoullet:bin mpoullet$ ./arm-linux-androideabi-as --version
GNU assembler (binutils-2.25-48ba864) 2.25.51.20141117

So I'd like to know which assembler to set via the AS environment variable?

At the moment I set CC=arm-linux-androideabi-clang and AS=arm-linux-androideabi-as.
It works but I'm not sure if it's ok to mix both.

Are there any recommendations?

Regards,
Matthieu.