g++ command line lenth issue with -MM

Del Merritt

May 20, 2016, 8:47:40 PM5/20/16
to android-ndk
Hi. Running latest Android Studio (2.1.1) and binding legacy C/C++ code into an Android app.

We first built the app back in 2013 using NDK r8e andlater r9d. No problems. Our special build tool for the legacy code is all hooked up for cross compilation, and one of the steps is to feed chunks of source into c/c++ (gcc/g++) with the "-MM" switch to generate a dependency list for subsequent build steps. Under NDK version r8e and r9d this was no problem. Using gcc toolchain, not llvm/clang. Running on Linux (LMDE).

With NDK version r11c and the newer gcc toolchain it appears that g++ itself only supports a command line of 4096 bytes. This now causes grief with our build manager.

We're looking at revising our legacy build process, but is the reduction in line length supported a known change/feature? Is it something that can be corrected in a future version of the NDK? Use of the llvm/clang toolchain is on our ToDo list, but we need to use gcc for now.

Thanks.

Dan Albert

May 23, 2016, 3:38:52 PM5/23/16
to android-ndk
Try r12 beta 2: https://github.com/android-ndk/ndk/wiki#current-beta-release

If it doesn't work there, sorry, but we're not fixing GCC issues any more.