Missing VK_KHR_SWAPCHAIN_EXTENSION_NAME extenstion

Dror Smolarsky

Oct 26, 2016, 12:01:57 AM10/26/16
to android-ndk
I'm experimenting with Vulkan on Android.

When I try to create an instance with VK_KHR_swapchain extension the call to vkCreateInstance fails with VK_ERROR_EXTENSION_NOT_PRESENT.
When using vkEnumerateInstanceExtensionProperties to get all instance extension, the swapchain extension is missing.

Android 7.1.1
NDK 13
Experimental Android gradle plugin

Am I missing a library, or some other component?

Thanks

Dror Smolarsky

Oct 26, 2016, 1:31:35 PM10/26/16
to android-ndk
After little bit of experimentation it seems the swapchain extension is only available on the physical device.
All of the Android Vulkan samples are getting the swapchain extension on the instance NOT the device.

Any ideas on why I see this difference?

Thanks