NDK version compatibility for targets Android versions

Aurélien ....

May 18, 2016, 10:49:15 AM5/18/16
to android-ndk
Hello,

I make an app using the NDK 12 which worked on my phone (Android 21).

When I tried to compile it for an Android 19 device, I had some errors at the link time because some symbols like "atof" were missing.

The reason was that these symbols where not present on older versions of Android, so the NDK included them. But in newer versions of Android, these symbols are native so the NDK does not have to include them.

Consequently, using the NDK 12 for an Android 19 target did not work because either the NDK or Android defined these symbols.

Well, ok.

My question is : Is there is a compatibility table between the NDK versions to use depending the Android version targets ?

I mean if I want to compile my app for Android 13, which NDK have I to use ? And for 14, 15, 16 etc. ?

Thank you in advance :)

mic _

May 18, 2016, 11:15:28 AM5/18/16
to andro...@googlegroups.com

Dan Albert

May 23, 2016, 3:49:03 PM5/23/16
to android-ndk
The NDK version and the Android version you are targeting are orthogonal concepts. You should always be using the latest NDK for the best behavior (possibly N-1 if there's a bug in the latest stable, but that won't be the average case).

It does sound like your APP_PLATFORM is set to a newer platform than the device you're trying to run on. APP_PLATFORM is a minimum supported version.

Wei Wang

Apr 12, 2018, 10:51:27 AM4/12/18
to android-ndk
Hello Dan Albert
I have a question ?
our customer use ndk 13b (api24) to compile  .so and .a ,
Can I use them in the Android 8.0 ? because some reason , our customer can't update the NDK to high version .

BR

Dan Albert

Apr 12, 2018, 12:20:46 PM4/12/18
to android-ndk

Wei Wang

Apr 26, 2018, 11:32:27 AM4/26/18
to android-ndk
Dear Dan Albert
     Excuse ,  I encounter one  question

      I have a *.so  with  NDK - r10b  (GCC compiler)  compiling   , now  I use the .so  on the Android N , but the Android N is  Clang compiler ,

      I think there may be some problem on this situation

Dan Albert

Apr 26, 2018, 1:20:56 PM4/26/18
to android-ndk
It's not something we test but it shouldn't be a problem.

terry....@gmail.com

Aug 3, 2018, 11:45:32 PM8/3/18
to android-ndk
Dear Dan Albert
    I am  Wei Wang's colleague, another
    Now  our customer use ndk 13b (api24) to compile  .so and .a ,  they want use the .so and  .a in the Android P ?  Do they can work normal in Android P  ?

    Why do I encounter the problem ,     because some reason , our customer don't want to compile the so/.a in new tool-chain ~

在 2018年4月13日星期五 UTC+8上午12:20:46,Dan Albert写道:

Ren Terry

Aug 6, 2018, 12:01:53 PM8/6/18
to android-ndk
Dear Dan Albert
    I have a question to consult you .
    Now  our customer use ndk 13b (api24) to compile  .so and .a ,  they want use the .so and  .a in the Android P ?  Do they can work normal in Android P  ?
    Why do I encounter the problem ,     because some reason , our customer don't want to compile the so/.a in new tool-chain ~

    I see the some replay before  the the ndk 13b(api24) .so/.a can use in Android O(8.x) ~

在 2018年4月13日星期五 UTC+8上午12:20:46,Dan Albert写道:
Yes.

Dan Albert

Aug 6, 2018, 12:35:09 PM8/6/18
to android-ndk
Yes. All NDKs should be compatible with all platform versions except in very rare circumstances.