Power management of a connected USB-device

amjprogramming

Jul 29, 2015, 12:49:26 PM7/29/15
to Android Linux Kernel Development
Hello there,

This is my first question in this group, which is about the power management between Android-based device and a USB-client.

Is it possible for Android to power off (or suspend) and on (or resume) a connected USB-device, i.e. sensor or keyboard, periodically?
How is responsible for the power management, is it Android or the client (the attached device)?

------------------- Example of USB host and USB-client---------------

Thanks in advance,

Regards,
Amjad

Raul Piper

Jul 29, 2015, 1:49:14 PM7/29/15
to android...@googlegroups.com

In my opinion its the device.Especially sensors which should full fill the criteria of always ON always sensing. Google "Selective Suspend" for USB .Sensor are either directly connected or connecetd vi a HUB(micro controller or Co processor) which in turn is connected to SoC where the Android Runs.The power management is done by the HOST but fw of the device should be made such that it is wakeup by either itself or by the HOST.

Also google Selective Suspend for HID USB device.