Want to develop new HAL and device driver for Android

Chirag Shah

Apr 24, 2012, 11:34:31 PM4/24/12
to Android Linux Kernel Development
Hi All,
I have compiled and loaded android ICS into pandaboard ES. I also
downloaded android linux kernel source and modified to put few printks
and it is also working with ICS. So i am ready for development.
I want to create new device driver and want to add support into
Android framework as well.
As of now i can see following different level of development for this
(pls correct me if i miss anything) :
Linux device driver -> HAL -> JNI files to support in Application FW -
> Java application.

My question is, where can i get information and documents / code
reference for
(1) HAL development and
(2) android specific changes in linux driver

Also which device HAL will be good reference as a start point to
understand android specific HAL?

Thanks,
Chirag Shah

William W.-Y. Liang

Apr 24, 2012, 11:59:44 PM4/24/12
to android...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chirag,

I would recommend that you start with LightService, which contains a relatively simple HAL implementation in AOSP.

Best Regards,
William Liang
http://www.ntut.edu.tw/~wyliang

Nikko Torcita

Apr 25, 2012, 12:36:14 AM4/25/12
to android...@googlegroups.com
Chirag,

That's my main reference when i ported a USB camera to an android tablet. Both HAL and and android driver codes have been shared by the OP.

Regards,
Nikko Torcita

Chirag Shah

Apr 25, 2012, 8:46:13 PM4/25/12
to Android Linux Kernel Development
Hi All,

Thanks for the reply. It will be great help if you can refer some link
for documentation/ presentation explaining architecture od Android HAL
and how it communicates with linux device driver.

Thanks,
Chirag Shah

William W.-Y. Liang

Apr 25, 2012, 10:42:42 PM4/25/12
to android...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

I have some introductory slides at the following link, for your reference.

http://www.ntut.edu.tw/~wyliang/#Download

BRs,
William W.-Y. Liang
http://www.ntut.edu.tw/~wyliang
--- this mail was sent from my phone ---

ranchu

Dec 24, 2016, 4:23:29 PM12/24/16
to Android Linux Kernel Development
Hello,

Do we need to download all Android stack in order to build a single HAL library ?

Thank you,
Ran